4. Let's pretend this entire conversation never happened.

Shoutout to @JustABrokenGirl37for always supporting! I truly appreciate it!

Chapter 4: Let's pretend this entire conversation never happened.

~~~

Nimit notices me before I reach him. His face quickly shifts from that of friendly to professional and stoic.

Oh, so you can only smile for her? Why? Because she's so pretty?

I force myself to smile at the apparent couple, hoping that my anger and envy isn't reflected too vividly in my eyes. I clear my throat before speaking. "Hi, and you are?"

Vicky grins at me and sneaks a glance at Nimit, mischievous and covert, like they are sharing a secret no one else is aware of and that only annoys me more. I grit my teeth, staring at the two of them, unable to comprehend this weird energy between them. She puts out her slender arm for a handshake and I take it begrudgingly, squeezing it harder than I normally would. The quick wince of pain on her face makes me feel a little better.

Petty? Always.

"I am Vicky, you must be Aisha."

"Yes, you must be knowing me because of my father." That's always the case.

"No, actually. I have heard about you from Nimit."

My eyes snap towards Nimit who is shooting daggers at Vicky, his jaw clenched and his eyes lethal. He is obviously unappreciative about her simply giving out this piece of information. Vicky only chuckles, completely unaffected by his threatening look. It's almost like she is used to it. I look between them, even more confused about the situation. Nimit talks about me with his girlfriend? Why? And more importantly, what? "Good things, I hope."

She winks at me and pats my shoulder, unexpectedly affectionate and friendly. It's a little baffling and makes me uncomfortable because I no longer know how to react to it. "I think it's best that you ask him about it. Anyway, I need to run. I have to change, meet some people and then go to boyfriend's place."

My jaw drops at the last part, my eyes widen and I think the shock and relief is far too evident on my face because it makes Vicky smirk knowingly. I quickly blink and pick up the dropped jaw, forcing a look of nonchalance. "Boyfriend?"

"Yes. Boyfriend." She gives a side hug to Nimit and waves a goodbye. "Don't be stranger, Nimit. We should catch up sometime, OJ would love to meet you." And with that she strolls off like a model, effortlessly gliding in her high heels across the room and through the crowd. I stare at her retreating back, wondering if I can ever walk like that. But then I remember all the efforts and troubles they put into it and I quickly eliminate that thought. I'd rather walk like a penguin then spend 4 hours a day with books on my head.

My eyes turn to Nimit and I don't know what to say anymore. I pretty sure I just made a fool of myself by storming over here but that seems to be the trend for me today – humiliate myself in front of Nimit. This incident is just another addition to that list.

A day to never forget... for all the wrong reasons.

"So...Vicky."

"She's a friend." Nimit replies back quickly, without a pause. As if it is important to clear the air.

That's not what I heard. I heard she was much more than a friend.

I try my luck once again, prying into his life, pretending to not care about it as I stare at my nails. "How do you know her?"

"Met her through a friend." His replies are as evasive as he is. It's infuriating.

Why can't he just tell me the whole story and put my mind at ease. Ugh, men!