25. And he just left? Without a fucking goodbye?

Twist, twist, twist!

Chapter 25. And he just left? Without a fucking goodbye?

When I woke up on a Tuesday, feeling energized and joyful, the last thing I expected was to get the biggest shock of my life.

It started when I opened my door with a bright smile, purposely wearing a flimsy top and a size too-small red shorts. Mentally prepped to tease Nimit for successfully making me addicted to him, I even skip wearing a bra. But instead of my usual handsome expressionless man, I find Greg outside the door.

His eyes widen and I don't miss the light appreciative perusal of my outfit. But he's decent enough to look away quickly and awkwardly clear his throat. "Ms. Mehta, Good Morning."

Embarrassment rises on my face, staining my neck and cheeks. I quickly step back into the room, scanning the corridor for my bodyguard. "Um, Good morning. Where's Nimit?"

Greg shifts on his knees as if this is the last conversation he wants to have. He avoids looking at me and I don't know if it's because of my lack of clothes or because he is guilty of something. I get my answer when Greg licks his lips and answers. "Mr. Verma was um, fired today morning."

My jaw drops on the floor and my eyebrows shoot up. It's as if someone has thrown me off a boat and all I can do is spurt out water in shock and flay my arms. "I am sorry?"

"Your father fired him."

I shake my head, forcing a chuckle. Is this some game Nimit is playing with me? Is this his way of ghosting me? Is this a prank in his books? I look around again, expecting him to pop out of nowhere with a playful smirk but I all get is a dazed silence.

Confusion rises in my belly. "Why would my father fire him?" I rub my forehead. "That makes no sense."

Greg scratches his arm, still not looking at me. "I am not at liberty to disclose details. I apologize."

I scoff, now feeling the shock slowly shift to anger, blinding hot anger. "And he just left? Without a fucking goodbye?"

This time Greg looks at me and I can see the sympathy and pity in his eyes. Neither of which I want. Neither of which makes me feel better. "He wasn't allowed to."

My hands clench into fists, my nails digging into my palms. I grit my teeth and my nose flares with barely restrained fury. "Allowed to? Are you fucking kidding me? My father didn't allow him to say goodbye?" I can feel my entire body cackling with seething rage that threatens to consume me whole. "That's it! I am done!" I hiss, starting to storm towards my father's office but Greg steps in front of me, stopping me. "What?" I spit out, not caring that my anger is displaced.

Greg glances at my clothes once again then clears his throat, a light pink hue tinging his cheeks. Is he blushing? Seriously!? "Um, can you please change into something... more appropriate?"

For the second time, my jaw drops. This has to be a fucking joke, right? He didn't just say that to me. "Change?" I point at my clothes, looking at him challengingly. "What is wrong with my clothes?"

I can see how discomforting this is for Greg but I don't care. Someone needs to face my wrath. "Uh, there are a few men downstairs today. Mr. Verma suggested you wear track pants and a sweatshirt."

I press my lips together, confused between laughing at his audacity and fuming at his concern. "Did he now?" Even when fired that man manages to control me and guard me. Ugh, how I hate him! I raise my eyebrows at Greg. "And if I don't?"

His answer is curt. "I get fired."

I sigh heavily and roll my eyes, storming back into my bedroom and slamming my door shut. I come out 10 minutes later, wearing a yellow sweatshirt and chocolate track pants. I give Greg a stiff smile and twirl around. "Happy now?"