21. Are you sure he's just a bodyguard?

Introducing the ex! Are all exes jerks or are some nice? 

Chapter 21: Are you sure he's just a bodyguard?

I enter the coffee house, followed by 5 inquisitive souls. We had to book a whole table considering the number of people gathered around to witness the drama awaiting to unfold between me and my delirious ex, Ved. Ryan comes back with a tray of coffees, one for each. I pick up my hazelnut frappe and take a sip, letting the cold sweet bitter taste wash down my throat.

Nimit is sitting next to me, straight and stiff, glancing around the coffee shop like there's a murderer hiding under a table or behind the coffee maker. I tug the ends of my red floral dress, glancing at Nimit. "Don't you want coffee?"

Nimit barely looks in my direction. "No, thanks."

"I am surprised he's sitting with us," Ryan grumbles, glaring at Nimit's presence. "He never mingles, always fades in the background. Shouldn't he be standing somewhere in a dark corner, staring at us from a distance?"

Nimit's eyes narrow with light animosity. "Aisha suggested I sit here so as not to freak out the people in this café."

My jaw drops at the blunt lie and I squirm uncomfortably when 4 pairs of eyes snap at me, all filled with interest. What the hell is he doing? Why is he pushing me under the bus? He's the one who forced me to sit next to him. And now he's putting all the blame on me. Ugh, Nimit!

I force a smile and shrug a shoulder. "Yeah, that would've been awkward, right? A man in a black suit just standing motionlessly in a corner, staring at our table. It's very creepy."

"That wasn't an issue before," Sania notes with a mischievous smirk. I glare at her to keep quiet and her smirk widens in response.

Ryan scans my red dress, matching earrings and light makeup with a prominent glower. "Why are you dressed like you are on a date?"

Nimit snorts under his breath. "That's what I asked her."

I grit my teeth, annoyed that the only thing these two men can agree on is how I miserably I can live my life. "Where is Ved? Is he coming?" I change the topic, looking around the mildly populated café.

Sania glances at the time. "Yeah, he should be here any second."

On cue, the café door opens and in walks a guy. My eyes widen, disbelief blanketing my face as I take in the man who broke my heart 2 years back. Sania and Kelly were right, he has become handsome... heart-achingly so.

He has also become taller over the years I haven't seen him, standing at almost 5'9'' now. Judging from his tight black tee and faded blue jeans that highlight his broad shoulders and athletic build, I can guess he spends quite some time in the gym. His jawline has become more pronounced and his usually sleeked back hair, now falls gracefully across his forehead, refusing to be tamed. His brown eyes look around the café until they land on me.

I hate to admit it but his charming smile and the excited gleam in his eyes make my heart skip a beat. I almost forget I am surrounded by my friends and my bodyguard as I shamelessly ogle over him. Ved notices the people around me and his smile falters a little but doesn't disappear. He approaches the table with a confident yet anxious smile. "Hello guys, didn't expect you all here."

His voice has gotten deep but it's still the same, the one that made me fall in love before it made me cry. I force myself to look away and take a deep calming breath. While all eyes are on Ved, Nimit's eyes are on me. His eyebrows furrow as he watches my reaction with open curiosity. I can only imagine what he's thinking. He's never seen me like this, so affected by a man other than himself. And I am sure he doesn't like that one bit.