26. At least the person you want isn't ignoring you.

How's life going? Anything exciting or new?

~~~

Chapter 26. At least the person you want isn't ignoring you.

It has been one hell of a week.

Every night I go to sleep, I cry. Every morning I wake up, I cry. I am surprised that my body is still capable of producing tears. It's been a week of agonising silence, punctuated only by the sound of my shattered heart.

When my father wanted to change from Greg to another bodyguard, I fought with him, practically begging him to let Greg stay. Because I knew that Greg was still in contact with Nimit and he provided updates on me every 6 hours. Even if it was through a middle person, I was clinging to that thin thread of connection between us.

I hoped Greg told him how miserable I was, how depressed, how heartbroken. I hoped Nimit would take some pity on me and at least message me but instead I was welcomed by Greg's sudden bursts of kindness – bringing ice cream to my room at midnight, playing my favourite music in the car, buying my favourite books every day, constantly sending memes and funny clips that would make me smile.

It didn't take a genius to know that Nimit was behind it all but I would've preferred direct contact, not a shadow giving orders from behind a curtain.

I reach for my phone, hoping against hope that maybe, just maybe, there will be a message from him, a sign that he still cares. But the screen remains blank, echoing the emptiness in my heart.

I remember his reluctant smile, the warmth of his touch, the softness of his kiss, the possessiveness in his hug, the way he laughed – it was rare but it is the most beautiful sound I have ever heard. And now, all I have are memories, cruel ghosts that haunt me in the darkness, reminding me of everything I've lost.

I stare out of the window, letting a single tear drop down my eyes. I don't even wipe it away, knowing a few more will follow.

Greg stops the car outside a café and looks at me through the rear window, he passes a kind smile and I try to smile but my lips refuse to cooperate. There is no reason to smile.

"We are here, ma'am."

"Thanks." I whisper, he helps me out of the car but doesn't follow me inside. Probably because the person inside is also his boss and there's no need for a bodyguard with him around.

I enter the quaint little café, it's relatively empty so I quickly spot my table. I tug the end of my black dress nervously as I near the table.

"Hello." I greet, my voice hoarse.

There's a pained expression across Jace's face but he quickly masks it with a bright grin. "Aisha!" He pulls the chair for me and sits across. "I ordered your favourite latte, hope you don't mind."

I scoff, obviously, Nimit took the liberty of disclosing my choice of poison. The bastard!

Jace sighs at my lack of response. "I am sorry about all this. When I said we'd meet again, I never expected it to be under such circumstances."

I give him a scathing glare. "Yeah, well, your best friend is a bloody idiot."

There's an amused flicker of expression on his face. "I agree with that. But he's miserable too. I have never seen him like this. he is drowning in self-loathe, he barely gets out of the house and when I met him a few days back, he reeked of alcohol. This is all for your safety, I hope you know that. He isn't happy with it either."

I refuse to show any signs of concern. He made his bed, now he can cry in it. "He left."

"He had to."