39|Changing

Elianna's POV

I pulled away from his embrace.

"Are you okay now?" He asked and I nodded.

"Thank you for that," I said.

I didn't realize how much I needed that hug until just now.

He stretched out his hand to me. "Are we good now? Can we go inside?"

I nodded my head and took his hand.

We walked through the entrance hand in hand.

"Will Romano be here?" I whispered into his ear.

He shook his head. "Probably not. He will most likely send a representative."

"Why doesn't he come to these events?"

"Cause he knows I'll be here," he said as I looked at him feeling scared but he started to laugh. "I'm kidding. He's old and weak now. He can't move shit but his mouth."

"Then shouldn't you just let nature take its course? Why do you have to kill him?" I asked and he snapped his neck to look at me.

"I must. Even if I die doing it."

"What about me?" I asked.

"What about you?" He asked back.

"Are you just going to die willingly and leave me a widow?"

"Isn't that what you want?" He asked me with a smirk and I honestly didn't know anymore.

Did I really want him dead?

"What about your bloodline? I know you are the last of your family. Will you just die like that and end it?"

He shrugged. "Once Romano is dead I don't care."

His comment upset me.

Why would he be okay with throwing his life like that just because of some old man who's already knocking on hell's gate?

"Why do you care?" He asked me. "You don't give a damn about me."

"I-I didn't say that!" I exclaimed.

He laughed. "Elianna, you've said it multiple times. Even yesterday. Actually, you tell me that almost everyday."

"Okay, I get it," I groaned. "Maybe that's not true anymore."

He smiled. "Did last night change you into a completely different person? Maybe I should've done that a earlier so I didn't go through all that stress you caused me."

My stomach fluttered as he brought up last night again. "It looks like the other way around because you can't seem to stop talking about last night."

He brought himself a little closer to me. "Maybe it's been on my mind more than it should've."

I swallowed hard at his straightforwardness.

"We're-we're straying away from the point," I stuttered nervously. "We made a vow to protect each other. You've done your part, now I need to do mine."

"Elianna, I don't need your protection."

"Yes, you do. You're being reckless right now with your life and I don't want to lose you."

We both stayed quiet after I said my last line.

Why did I even say that? We were barely able to tolerate each other.

He doesn't even feel the same way for me.

The thought of him dying just made me sad.

I should be happy that I might get to come out of this marriage but instead I feel sad?