Mother's Day

Info - dead parent, awkward Timmy, surprise

My mother had passed away a couple years ago. It didn't hurt as bad as it once had. I still kept our tradition though. I took her to Mother's Day dinner. I smiled sadly at her picture as I told her about my year.

"Walk slowly, slowly," I heard a voice near me. I saw a cute boy leading who must be his mother. His large hands were over her eyes.

My heart ached with happiness and sorrow. He seemed like such a sweet son. He uncovered her eyes and they were cheering.

I longed to do something like that again. I told my mother's photo just how much I missed surprising her. I remembered when I threw her a surprise fiftieth birthday. It's been so funny, she hadn't considered for a second that it was for her. It was like a double surprise when I told her again.

"Hey, um, I'm sorry to bug you," said a voice. I looked up.

"Oh hello," I said. "I saw what you did for your mom. That was really sweet."

"Yeah, she told me to......"

"Oh fuck," he said when he noticed my mother's picture.

"What? What's the matter?" I asked. I stood up but he backed away. He actually tripped and fell onto the floor.

"Oh, let me help you," I tried to offer. He shied away for a second, but then let me take his hand. I helped him up and we were rather close.

"What's the matter?" I asked.

"I-I've been looking over at you all night. My mom even noticed. She told me to just go ask you out, but then, then I saw-"

"Oh, you're sweet," I giggled. He looked relieved.

"I'm y/n," I said and shook his hand.

"I'm Timothée," he said with a lopsided grin.

"And that's Joan," I said, pointing towards the picture of my mom. "Now ask me out."

"Um, would you want to go out with me?" He asked sheepishly.

"Absolutely," I smiled.

"Really?" He brightened.

"Yes, anyone who treats their mom like that is bound to be a great date," I said.

"Oh," he blushed. "Thank you."