This wasn't the end. - Part Two

Request – This wasn't the end – Part Two

You were waiting in line at the feed store. They only had one register open, so it was taking the poor high school kid a while to get through to everyone. There was a bad storm coming in around midnight tonight and folks wanted to get everything done before the rain came all day tomorrow.

"Y/N?" A voice behind you said.

You turned and saw Rip standing in line behind you with a cart. He looked almost out of place in the store. Glancing into the cart you saw there were some fence-cutting tools and new gloves.

"Hey," You said softly.

"Haven't seen you...well, how are you?" Rip cleared his throat.

"Fine," You nodded. "I needed some propane and figured it would be quicker here than in town, but I didn't know everyone else would have the same idea."

"Yeah, storm is supposed to do some damage," Rip said.

"Yeah," You both paused for an awkward second. "How are you?"

"Good," Rip nodded.

"How's..." You trailed off, not really knowing how to finish your question.

"Miserable," Rip answered.

"You don't know what I was asking about," You eyed him.

"Or who," Rip smirked.

You moved up one spot in line. It had been two weeks since you had walked away from Kayce that one early morning. You hadn't spoken to him, or anyone associated with the Dutton's since then. Rip was the first person you had seen.

You were staying with your grandmother who lived across town. She had an extra room and it had given you an opportunity to help your grandmother out with some projects she just couldn't do well anymore.

"You coming back ever?" Rip asked you.

"Uh..." You glanced over your shoulder, seeing you were two away now. "I don't know, Rip."

"You need to cut the cord then," Rip said.

"I don't think it's any of your business," You frowned.

"That ranch is my business," Rip challenged. "And Kayce's a fucking lost puppy right now, mopping about. About near ripped the head off two new wranglers we have and almost burned Eric's bar down last weekend."

"None of that is my fault," You argued.

"It's becoming your fault because that poor kid is waiting for you to come back," Rip said.

"I just couldn't..." You sighed.

"You last longer than anyone else," Rip said. "If that makes you feel better."

It was your turn and as you were paying out, lightning ripped across the sky and thunder shook the windows. You could smell the rain every time the sliding glass door opened up for someone to walk in or out of.

"I'm not gonna beat the storm," You signed, looking back at Rip. "Drive safe."

"You wanna ride with me?" Rip asked, handing the cashier a card. "There's plenty of beds."

"What?" You asked. "No, Rip...you're not forcing me to-"

"He almost killed two wranglers, Y/N," Rip cut you off. "Either end it or help him...but stop stringing both of you along."

"It's not that simple," You said, but you let Rip pick up your propane tank and followed him out.

Twenty minutes later, Rip pulled up to the main lodge, the rain coming down hard now. You looked at him and gave him a small smile before you pelted out of the truck and up the stairs to the front door. It opened and you were inside, shaking the water from your light jacket.