🅂🄷🅄🅃🅃🄸🄽🄶 🄾🅄🅃

♬ ❝ Built us a world and I gave you the key. Still can't believe that this isn't a dream. Falling in love with a damn fantasy, that's so me, so me  ❞ ♬

»»———— ★ ————«4 days since summer break startedThursday - Monaco

»»———— ★ ————«
4 days since summer break started
Thursday - Monaco

I had managed to drag myself to the bedroom, but sleep was a lost cause. All I was able to do was stare at the ceiling. I didn't even notice how the evening changed into night. Only when the early sun started to light my room again did my brain actively recognize a night had passed.

I mustered the strength to swing my legs over the bed, and when I stood up, my legs wobbled beneath me as if I were drinking again. As if I was unable to support the weight of my broken heart.

The past few days, at Charles' apartment, I never allowed myself to grieve, to feel the pain. I didn't allow myself to cry. I was afraid Charles might hear me but mostly afraid that he would be overly worried again.

I stumbled through the apartment to my bathroom. I barely recognized the face that was staring back at me in the mirror. Eyes swollen and red, dark circles under them, and the skin white.

It is a stranger, a portrait of devastation.

I ran the tap open, cupping my hands under the cold water to clean my face. It was not going to fix anything, but I had to look at least a bit decent when the locksmith arrived.

Which, obviously, was useless. But the locksmith didn't mention it. He looked at me with a slight pity on his face but got to work immediately. He changed the locks, handed me the new keys, and disappeared again.

It was only eleven in the morning, and I already wanted to disappear back into my bed. I craved sleep's thoughtlessness, but even in my dreams, I was haunted by the ghost of what could have been.

And I was more angry at the world for its cruelty than I was at Max. All my emotions were trying to reach the surface, yet drowning within the depths of my own inability to give them a name.

Hours crept by, the sun lowering itself more and more under the horizon of the sea, illuminating a golden cast over my living room. And it angered me that the world could still be so beautiful.

It wasn't until I heard keys rattling I looked up to the hallway, and softly got up from my couch. With slow steps, I walked towards my front door, knowing all too well that Charles wouldn't be able to get into my apartment.

The lock is blocked. My brother tried again, but no matter how hard or how often he tried, the keys didn't turn; the door kept being locked.

"Jasmine?" His voice was calm, calmer than I had expected for locking him out. "Are you here?"

I wanted to reply, but the words got stuck in my throat. I didn't want to see him; I didn't want to talk about how I felt betrayed by him, too. I leaned against the wall; one hand covering my mouth as I felt a new wave of sadness almost crashing over me.