14

"Onika you got a court date

"Onika you got a court date. Don't act stupid."

I heard Onika on the phone with her mother and slowly made my way into the room. I had just gotten here, to bring Zari home.

She looked at me, keeping her eyes on me without saying a word as her mother continued to talk to her. I sat next to her on the bed and she stared right at me.

By her face, anybody would be confused. Was she upset? Or was she just looking?

"And you aren't even listening to me!" Carol yelled and Onika finally took her slightly squinted eyes off me, turning to her mother on the screen.

"I hear you ma. I already knew."

Carol sighed, obviously fed up with Onikas shit. I get it, but at the same time, I don't. Onika is almost thirty, what she does now, isn't Carols problem and she shouldn't stress herself out about it if Onikas not even half as stressed.

"Why do you not care Onika!? You have a daughter-"

Onika sucked her teeth, real loud, looking down at her phone with the most irritated expression. "Mom, don't let me get to talking about mothering skills."

"See, can't nobody talk to you. I pray and pray everyday that my granddaughter doesn't take after you."

"Don't talk to me about my daughter unless it's something that actually matters. Don't question my mothering skills at all." Onika sat up and I knew she was about to start running at her mouth.

I touched her wrist before she could start and she snatched her hand away, not even looking at me.

"Cause I can say a few things about your horrible parenting skills! Azari is perfectly fucking fine and you know what, I don't need your help with this stupid ass case. Fuck you." She cussed her mother out, hanging up before Carol could get another word out.

I wanted to say something, real bad and I'm sure Onika could tell by the look I was giving her.

"Now-"Shut the fuck up talking to me Beyoncé." She cut me off, flipping the blanket off of her while getting up and stomping her way out of the bedroom.

I watched her the entire time and when my brain finally processed how she just dismissed me, I laughed, loud enough for her to hear me before jogging my way out of this room.

Azari was down stairs so before Onika could even get to the steps, I grabbed her and forced her back against the wall.

"Bit-" I covered her mouth and her head was now up against the wall as well.

"Shut your damn mouth." I gritted, staring at her like she lost her mind because honestly, that's how it's looking right now. "I spent 10 fucking thousand on you that night and I come here, to bring you our daughter and you act like you can't say good fucking morning."