.•°¤ ۞ 𝑨 𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒄𝒆 𝑬𝒏𝒄𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒓 ۞¤°•.

Warning: I'm not responsible for any brain damage caused by this story o_0  :P

.

.

.

"This is so hopeless" you murmured, trudging through the scorching Sumeru desert as the hot sand burned your feet and the sun practically seared your back.

Matriarch Babel had sent you out on a mission to find food and you took it lightly, swearing that you'd be back in half an hour.

Oh, how you regretted it. It had been over two hours since you left and if you stayed any longer, you were sure the sun would cook you and you'd become the food. Your throat was parched and you were close to fainting yet you still kept going on.

Whatever the Matriarch ordered you to do, you would follow through w
ith it. She was the one who had saved your life after all, when she found you abandoned as a baby on the verge of death. It was only through her teachings to be as merciless as the desert that you were able to survive until today. With sheer dedication to her lessons, you quickly became one of the best fighters in your clan. If she saw you struggling like this right now, you knew her disappointment would be immeasurable.

You blinked the sand out of your eyes and scanned the desert, looking for any signs of life. But the only thing you saw were some tumbleweeds rolling by in the distance.

Suddenly, you heard a scream coming from the other direction. You turned and listened carefully, wondering if it was an animal or if the heat had just made you imagine it.

Either way, there was nothing left where you were, so you ran towards the noise.

As you got closer to the cries, you saw a couple of eremites surrounding something. You scoffed at the sight of the eremites - they were part of an enemy clan and you wondered which poor soul they were torturing this time.

You started stretching, getting ready to fight. As you got nearer, you saw a man with blonde hair standing in the middle of the eremites. He was dressed in unusual attire and you immediately guessed he was from the city from the way he spoke.

"Wait wait wait guys, surely we can work something out, right?" He said, nervously trying to negotiate with the eremites as they towered over him. "There's no need for violen-"

Before he could finish his sentence, one of the eremites punched the man square in the jaw and you flinched from just watching. You were about to turn around and go back to the settlement - after all, this was none of your business. Matriarch Babel had taught you not to go poking around in other people's matters and ignore anything else that got in your way.

But before you could walk away, you heard someone call your name and you turned around with disgust at the thought of your name coming from one of those brute's lips.

"Didn't think I'd see you in our territory, Y/N," one of them sneered. "What else can we expect from one of Babel's filthy rats - always scurrying where they don't belong...bound to get themselves killed one day," he said, tracing the tip of his sword with his finger before pointing it at you.

Rage started bubbling inside of you but you played it off with a smirk. You could take these guys in a heartbeat, they weren't worth your time.

You ignored their calls, only listening to the Matriarchs' teachings as they echoed through your head.

'The weakest dogs bark the loudest'

Besides, it was getting late and you didn't have any more time to waste. You were about to walk the other way when you caught a glimpse of the blonde man in the middle - his eyes conveying a desperate plea for help. You tried to shake it off but there was just something about his deep, red eyes that didn't let you move on.