.•°¤۞ 𝑬𝒏𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒑𝒑𝒆𝒅 ۞¤°•.

You watched the eremites' faces twist into triumphant expressions as you sprinted towards the doors, all forms of hope in your body being replaced with dread as the doors fell shut.

You stared at them for a moment, realizing what had happened before banging on the doors in an outrage.

"LET US OUT" you yelled, your fingers almost starting to bleed as they scraped against the rough, sandy surface while you tried to pull the doors apart. You kicked it, rammed against the doors, anything that might get them open.

"No, no, nonono..." you murmured as your hands fell away. You backed away from the doors with a listless look in your eyes as all the life drained from your face.

"There's another way to get out right?" Kaveh asked, breathing heavily after he caught up to you. Noticing you staring into the distance hopelessly, he grabbed you by the shoulders and shook you. "There's another way, right??"

You slowly looked up at him and shook your head.

"What...what do you mean," he let out a nervous laugh.

You slumped onto the floor, panic gripping your insides. The desert had thrown many harsh challenges at you, but you had never been closer to death than you were right now.

"Those damned eremites," Kaveh complained, trying to pry the doors apart himself, refusing to let go of the thin strand of hope he had left. But it quickly snapped and he threw a nearby rock at it in frustration.

"It's no use..." you murmured listlessly. "Once those doors are shut, there's no way to open them from the inside,"

Dread filled the quickly growing pit in your stomach, and you and Kaveh exchanged looks of hopelessness. You pulled your knees close to your chest, trying to organize your thoughts.

You hadn't wanted to die like this. You wanted to go out because of something heroic - something cool, like saving Sumeru from living in a dream because of the corrupt Akademiya or something. You let out a dry laugh, realizing how far-fetched that scenario was. But even that was better than dying of hunger, cold and alone after losing to your enemies. A chilly breeze blew across your neck, giving you goosebumps.

"Brrr....feels like the wind's creeping in from the back of my shirt....and also the front..." Kaveh said, shivering next to you. "One moment I'm dizzy from all the sun and the next I'm going to freeze to death. How is it so cold in the desert?!"

"Who cares...we're going to die here anywa-" you sat up straight immediately and stared at him. "Wait what did you say?"

He looked at you, puzzled. "It's cold...?"

"Nonono about the wind. Do you feel the wind too?" you asked, leaning closer to him. He stared into your eyes, that were now only a few inches away, surprised.

"Yes, the wind is going to freeze me to death! At this rate I'll never be able to help my students!!" he exclaimed worriedly.

You jumped up, raising your hand in the air to confirm what he said. You thought you had hallucinated it, but if he felt it too, then surely....

A smile crept onto your face as you felt a subtle breeze brush against your palm ever so slightly. You turned to look at him excitedly, a new bubble of hope forming in your chest.

"What's wrong....why are you smiling like that..?" Kaveh asked as his brow furrowed.

"Wind..." you said, before laughing in relief. "There's a breeze! There's another opening in the pyramid!!"

"That means there's another way out..." Kaveh murmured, the thought of being able to escape slowly sinking in. A relieved grin spread across his face, mirroring yours as the two of you realized there was still hope. You started laughing and he joined in too.