29: Safe & Sound

*Friday Night*
*9:00 pm*
*Chen*

Lucy hadn't left the hospital. How could she? It had been eight hours since the end of her appointment and since she had received word of Tim and John. She had called Valeria to update her and have her check on Tamara and Jaclyn. She had also FaceTimed Tamara so that she could update her and so she could see Jaclyn. The sweet faces of her girls only helped her slightly.

She stayed in the waiting room, mostly alone. Grey had signed off on her missing work until Tim was out of the hospital. Her other friends had rotated in and out as they saw necessary. But, she couldn't bring herself to move. A nurse had brought her a blanket, and a few others had been by to check on her. As for word on her fiancé and her friend, she had been given little information.

Lucy had taken it upon herself to also update Bailey and Nolan's son when they stopped by. At some point Nyla and Angela stopped by with their four kids, this had brought a brief smile to her tear stained face. Especially as she held baby Sofia in her arms. The two women also brought a bag of clothes for her, along with a few toiletries and her journal. Tamara must have helped them.

For a while they sat and talked with Lucy. She was happy to see that nylas youngest daughter was feeling better. They talked about Lucy's big news. She sobbed as she thought about it.

"I haven't even gotten to tell Tim yet..."

"But, you will. Luce, you will get to tell Tim. And he will be there the day this child is born." Nyla rubbed circles on her back.

"How was the appointment, though?" Angela smiled at her, desperately trying to change he subject.

"It went well.." Lucy wiped her eyes free of tears. "I am pregnant. And now I'll officially have three kids..." Lucy laughed just a little bit.

"Momma Chen! Kicking ass,taking names, and being super mom!" Lucy laughed at Angela's comment.  Not long after, the two women left, taking their children home.

Lucy was once again alone. She pulled out her phone to try and read, but she couldn't focus. The same thing happened when she tried to write in her journal. She was far to anxious. And so she placed her hands on her still flat stomach.

"Well, I know you're still young, really only a few weeks old if that. And you may not understand much. But, you will be. Baby, you will be strong, brave, and smart. Just like your daddy and I... and you'll have two big sisters..."

"Lucy Chen!?" Her talk with her unborn child was cut off, by someone in scrubs calling her name. She stood quickly, probably faster than she should've. But, she couldn't contain herself.

"Me! That's me!" Lucy called out, meeting the man in the middle of the room. Her voice was frantic and she was absolutely holding back tears, unsure if they should be tears of joy or despair.

The man smiled, he looked extremely worn out, very in need of sleep. "Are you Sergeant Bradfords' fiancé?" She nodded enthusiastically. "He wouldn't stop mumbling your name before he went under." She smiled, and chuckled quietly.

"How is he? It's been eight hours for petes' sake.." she stopped talking then, she didn't want to be rude to the man who held her love's life in his hands.

"Sergeant Bradford, he is doing well now. He had a rocky start, with a few past gunshot wounds and almost less than enough viable tissue, but we made it through those rough spots. He did code once, we weren't sure for a moment. But, he came back. He surpassed all of our expectations. The man really has a lot of fight in him." Tears of joy began to spill from Lucy's eyes as she flung her arms around the man covered in dried blood.

He wrapped his arms around her briefly before pulling back. "He's asleep at the moment, but if you'd like, I can take you to his room?" Lucy once again nodded like a bobble head. She gathered her stuff in a hurry so that she could follow him.