31: All I Need

*Monday, September 11, 2023*
*Chen*

A little over a month later and Lucy was now a month pregnant, mostly she was happy that she wasn't showing yet and that all of her appointments had gone well so far. She was also quite relieved that Tim was back to work, he'd only slightly gotten on her nerves while he was recovering.

That was a lie, he had really gotten on her nerves with how nosey he was. Not to mention, Tim had done something Lucy had never expected, Tim had begun nesting. It was terrifying. He had spent a lot of time with Jaclyn and Tamara, while also taking Kojo for many walks, even before he should have. He had begun trying to prep for the new baby while also helping T look for apartments. He never settled, which meant Lucy never got to either.

But, now he was back to work and out of Lucy's hair. Cases had been closed, work was somewhat settled, at least for Lucy. Each morning she watched the people she knew and loved go back out on the streets after roll call each morning, while she stayed behind with Nyla and Angela.

She knew it was the smarter choice, as she was now going to be a mother of three, but Angela had been on patrol while pregnant.. and she had watched Nyla work all the way up until she gave birth, even after she was put on bed rest. Lucy loved being a detective, she loved the work she did, but she missed riding in a shop and all that patrol came with.

She sat at her desk, the day almost halfway over, scrolling on her computer. She was doing a bit of light digging on her most recent case. It was more minor compared to other cases she had worked on, but she didn't like to really think of any case as minor.

As she scrolled through countless pages of data and information, she thought about Angela and Nyla. She knew what Angela had done, and she knew how it had all ended. Lucy also knew that Nyla had gone out many times while pregnant, but as a Detective. All Lucy felt was confliction. She also felt like a broken record, going over the same data and facts in her head, but she only had so much to go on...

Since the other two were out doing the street work on the case they were working, she gave them a call. During this she asked if they could meet her for an early lunch. They had obviously both agreed, laughing at Lucy's need to eat.

For the moment Lucy allowed them to think that it was because of her pregnancy, but she knew she needed to simply talk to them about her mental conflicts. They felt more like blockers though, blocking her from focusing completely or thinking straight. She knew it was too early for pregnancy brain to be kicking in.

About an hour later, the noises Lucy's stomach was making told Luther that it was time to walk out to the food trucks for lunch. By the time she made it out there, she found Angela and Nyla already waiting for her. They had already gotten a table and food for all of them. With a thankful smile, Lucy joined them and immediately dug into the fries.

"So are we talking about wedding plans?" Angela asked, the excitement clear in her voice. Her smile beamed brightly as she raised her eyebrows.

"Or are we talking about all things new baby related?" Nyla beamed just as brightly at Lucy.

Lucy set down the bunch of fries which she was about to inhale, dusting the crumbs off her hands. "Actually, I had a different topic in mind." Both girls raised their eyebrows at her. "Lately, I have been wrestling with a certain, ummm, issue I guess. I have been conflicted about it, and before I went to Tim, who is all logic, reason, and solution, I thought I would come here first." Nyla and Angela nodded slowly, continuing to eat their food.

"I miss patrol and the streets. Don't get me wrong, I love working with the two of you, and I really enjoy the work we do as Detectives. But, I miss the rush and the thrill. I miss it all, honestly. On one hand, I know I could do it. I watched Angela go through her pregnancy while still on patrol, but when I think of that, I think about what it all led to, and how my girls will never have their Uncle Jackson." she paused, taking a drink of her water.