Chapter 7

Texas Houston

The scene depicts Aunt Dee diligently washing dishes. Having been alone in the house for two months, she yearns for the familiar sound of Houston tinkering with his cherished motorcycle, gifted to him by his beloved grandfather on his eighteenth birthday. After meticulously drying the final dish and stowing it away in the cabinets, she eventually makes her way to the living room to take a well-deserved break. As she reclines, her gaze turns towards Houston's room, which remains immaculately organized and tidy, much like the way he left it before heading off to compete with his school's formidable tank team.

 As Aunt Dee turns on the TV she changes the channels skipping all the broadcasts until later came across one of American Tank League sports news as the opening theme plays showing the two reporters sitting there both. 

"Greetings, America. The ATL hopes this message finds you well. Today, we have an exciting report on the performance of our young boys in their battle against the Federation Sensha Do school on a remote island off the coast of Japan. However, before we present the post-battle results, we have received a special recording from Marshal Commander Houston." As the Reporter continues talking before playing the audio recording from Houston his Aunt stares at her tv as she mumbles her nephew's name.

"Houston...." Aunt Dee muttered it out as the Reporter starts the tape.

The audio of Houston's voice filled the air as a picture of him and the selected tankery team driving off to battle appeared. In his address, he spoke with determination, "Soldiers and Tankery of the American Tankery League, we are about to embark upon the great crusade, facing an unknown enemy. As we leave our families behind, hoping for our safety, our strength lies in our unity as brothers in arms. We're here to protect our history, which the Federation of Sensha Do aims to dismantle from our sport."

Acknowledging the challenges, Houston emphasized the legacy they carried from their grandfathers who fought in World War 2, affirming, "Our attack has weakened the enemy's ground strength, and the support from our homefronts bolsters us. We're proud to fight alongside strong men, upholding our families' traditions. Victory is our goal, and with courage, devotion, and skill, we'll settle for nothing less than complete success."

As the recording concluded, Aunt Dee felt a sense of comfort hearing her nephew's voice, which eased her nerves. However, her attention shifted to a family photo of Houston with his parents and uncle, triggering memories. Her gaze then turned to an old newspaper framed by Houston, its headline 'The Dallas Incident,' accompanied by an image of a burning P-38 fighter plane. The memories of that night, when the incident tore Houston's family apart, resurfaced, casting a shadow over her emotions.

Flashback

In a heart-wrenching scene, Houston's parents were overcome with grief, tears streaming down their faces as they confronted the unimaginable reality before them. The weight of their anguish was palpable as they knelt on the floor, their sobs echoing in the air.

As the front door of the house swung open, Houston, just sixteen years old, entered with visible wounds – cuts, bruises, and a broken arm encased in a cast. Alongside him were his uncle and aunt, who had brought him home. Stepping into the living room, Houston's mother called out to him, her voice quivering as she tried to find words to console her son. Houston's tear-filled eyes met his parents, his pain and sorrow evident.

His father's face was etched with sorrow as he rose from his kneeling position, his voice a mix of grief and anger as he demanded answers from his son. "What happened, boy? Tell me... What happened up there?" The aggression in his voice belied the raw emotion he was experiencing. Accusations of freezing up hung heavy in the air as Houston shook his head, his response almost a whisper, "N-N-No Dad, I tried to save him... I tried..."