Chapter 24

In the Tank Cafe, Houston's Aunt and Uncle, Delia and Doyal, were seated at a table, taking a break after a long flight to Japan to meet with Federation Officials regarding the match against the America Tankery sports. It had been three months since the children had embarked on their Tankery match, and some of the parents were growing increasingly concerned about their well-being and missing them dearly.

Houston's aunt, Delia, was dressed in her American Tankey League office attire, while his uncle, Doyal, wore a Lieutenant Colonel U.S. Army officer uniform. The waitress approached their table.

"Are you ready to take your order?" the waitress inquired.

Doyal responded in Japanese, "Yes, I'll have a black coffee, no sugar, but make it strong."

The waitress then turned to Aunt Dee and asked, "The same for you, ma'am?"

Aunt Dee replied, "Yes, I'll be having the same, but can I have five vanilla cream packs on the side, please."

The waitress nodded and said, "Okay, two black coffees with five vanilla cream packs on the side. Anything else?"

Doyal declined any additional orders, but the waitress wasn't done yet. She suggested, "You sure? We've got some excellent strawberry cakes that you may enjoy."

Before Doyal could respond, Aunt Dee eagerly spoke up, expressing her desire to try the strawberry cake. The waitress then left to place their order. Doyal turned to Aunt Dee with a tired expression.

"Really, Delia? Sometimes you need to calm down with the strawberry cakes," Doyal remarked.

Aunt Dee, unfazed, retorted, "Oh, at least I don't have a problem controlling my chocolate addiction, Doyal."

Doyal chuckled softly at his wife's playful jab. "Touché, Delia," he admitted, acknowledging her point. Their banter was a familiar and comforting part of their relationship, and it brought a small smile to both their faces.

Aunt Dee listened to her husband, Doyal, as he expressed his feelings about their nephew, Don, and the challenges he had faced, particularly the Dallas incident. Her gaze softened as she understood the weight of his emotions.

"You know, honey, I really missed our nephew," Aunt Dee said, her voice filled with nostalgia. "Before the Federation challenged us for this long-year match, I truly enjoyed seeing Don enjoying himself. It had been a while since we saw our nephew having such a good time with the new friends he made and the sounds of him working on the bike that your father gave to him."

Doyal nodded in agreement, his expression reflecting the longing he felt. "I know, Delia. I missed Don too, but he's strong. Even though... I still blame myself for allowing my younger brother to send him and Red to the Vermont Academy. That decision changed them when they entered... you know... the Dallas incident."

His gaze dropped, and he continued, "Even though we're glad that Don survived... but for Red... I still couldn't forgive myself for not knowing what the Battle Reenactment Association was doing."

Aunt Dee reached out to gently touch Doyal's hand. "I'm sorry if I brought that up," she said softly. "It just reminds me of when we first lost our first son, Leonardo, under your command during the Afghanistan War."

  Doyal squeezed Aunt Dee's hand gently, appreciating her understanding and the connection they shared through their shared trials and losses.

"It's okay, Delia," he said, his voice carrying a mixture of gratitude and sadness. "Talking about our past, even the painful parts, helps us remember and honor those we've lost. It's just that Don... he means so much to us. Seeing him grow and face these challenges, brings up a lot of emotions."