~Prologue~

As it was a tense, scorching afternoon, most people were indoors.

They sat sprawled on their couches or beds, savouring the chill of their air conditioners.
In the middle of the forest, beyond the Highlands formerly known as Lost Hills as they were long forgotten, sat an old cottage dilapidated in appearance, having gone through the harshness of the varying weather for a long time.

A middle-aged hiker diverted from his normal route and decided to climb the forgotten and cursed Lost Hills.

He journeyed past the hills and walked on further, clearly enjoying his walk.
He was exhausted soon and decided to look for where to rest.

He considered sitting under a large tree on the grass and having a nice meal before taking pictures of the landscape after which he would journey back. He emerged from behind the tree, spotted an old cottage and then changed his mind.

The front door creaked open and he walked through. He looked around for a moment before dropping his backpack on a dusty couch. He decided to look for a cloth rag to dust the couch before sitting. He was exhausted but he decided to wander deep into the cottage in search of the rag, nevertheless.

In a dingy, cobwebbed room, a small black box sat on a wooden stool. The door to the room was left ajar. A dark spirit slithered through the space between the wall and the door. It made a hissing sound and vanished.
The door flew open as an exhausted Mr Joe stumbled in. Fortunately, he saw an old, dirty rag lying on the floor. He walked over and bent down to pick it. Behind him, the spirit emerged.

It made a hissing sound again.
Mr Joe stood up, frightened and turned quickly. His eyes were filled with fear and he opened his mouth to scream. The spirit flew into his body and his eyes glowed with a bright purple light.

Mr Joe's possessed body let out a howl so loud, the cottage shook, the leaves on the trees rustled, birds flew away in flocks and Lost Hills rumbled.

Out of the window of the cottage, a flash of purple light flickered. Suddenly, everywhere became still and quiet. Lost Hills remained silent as it had for hundreds of years ago.

_________________________
Hey there!
I'm glad you gave this story a chance!

Hope you vote and comment on it if you like it.
I appreciate all of it :-)