•Chapter 5•

[Trevor]

It was four in the evening. My parents were out at some diner. That left my older brother, younger sister and me at home.

I was at my backyard, making free throws on the miniature basketball court that happened to be there when we moved in a week ago.

I was out there most of the time after school. Today was Thursday. My brother was inside playing video games and my sister was probably drawing or learning names of cities in the state.

I'd moved to six states here in America since I was born. Each time, for some reason I never really cared about. All I bothered about was whether I wanted to leave or not. The last state we moved from, Texas, was one of the places I wished we never left. I had a lot of friends. I was recognized for my skill in basketball and I met my closest friends there.

I knew that they'll never forget me and we always kept in touch, but still, it wasn't the same.

I don't know how I felt about Arizona. I've been here a week. I've met no one new except a very intimidating dude and some random guy, Tom. I've tried out for the basketball team and the captain said I was good.

I've always wanted to play professional basketball and I want a name for myself. Since I was ten, when I began watching it on TV with my dad, that's all I ever wanted.

I held up a basketball to my face. I stood in the middle of the court. Looking at the deep orange colour of the ball made me suddenly remember an incident that happened two days ago. It was the second weird thing that has happened to me this week.

I tried to believe it was just my imagination, but was it?

I was coming back home on Tuesday. My laces were untied. I stopped to tie them up. When I was done, I tried to push myself up with my arms.

As I touched the pavement, I felt a sharp pain flash through my hands, like when you touch a hot iron and withdraw your open palm. I recoiled immediately and stumbled backwards. I stood up and looked at my palms. They were dark red. I looked back on the ground and noticed that the spot where my hands were, there was a black patch with a palm print.

Trying not to think about it, I walked home in a haste.

I hoisted my arms up, aiming for the hoop. At the last second, I changed my mind and ran. Once I got to the net, I dunked the ball in. I hung up to the hoop for a few seconds, then suddenly my hands started getting warmer.

I jumped down immediately, clutching my palm. I didn't hurt but when I checked, I noticed that it was red.

Worried, I left my backyard. Today's practice was over, I thought to myself as I approached the back door. My brother, Henry, was coming out from that direction. He caught me clutching my hand.

"Dude, what happened?" he asked. "Wait, lemme guess, you slipped as you were trying to make a free throw and you broke your arm?"

I rolled my eyes and dropped my hands immediately.
"Gimme a break dude," I mummured as I walked in.

I went for a glass of water.
As I was about to take a sip, my phone rang.
I reached out for the phone.

I began to search my jumbled brain for the moment I have Alexis my number.
After a second, I still couldn't find it so I answered the call.

"Hey Trevor. Um, are you busy?" he asked.

My heart was still racing since the incident in the backyard. I was really worried, though I tried to act cool.

"Well...no, why?" I replied, taking a sip of water.

"Do you wanna go out somewhere?"

I was surprised, I almost spit the water out of my mouth.

"Mmm, sounds cool. Where we going? I don't know much places. Only the school, my house...a few shops."

"Are you serious? You don't step out of your house or what?"

"I'm new to the state."

"Oh..."

"Yeahhh...plus I don't like coming out much. Especially during the day."

I wanted to tell him about the shoelace incident but I barely knew the guy. I didn't want him to think I was weird or that I was beginning to hallucinate.

It was also possible that I could get into the school's basketball team, him being the team captain and all.
I didn't want to ruin my chances.

He made a comment about me being a vampire and I just laughed.

He told me that he wanted us to go to this bar called Davie's and I that I should meet him at his house. Then we'll go together.

He also told me that his sister was coming. The one I met at the cafeteria a few days ago.

I poured myself another glass of water and walked to my room to shower and change.

When I was done having a bath, I walked outside, glanced at my phone to check Alexis's address and then I walked off.

***

A few minutes later, I arrived at his house.
"Wow!" I thought. I knew the guy was rich but, wow.

When the security guy went in to tell Alexis that I'd arrived, I stole the moment to marvel at the house.

It was all white. A two storey building with silver railings. The façade and exterior decor was simple but elegant.

A minute later, Alexis arrived with his sister, Lex.
"...Hey?" she said to me. Then she turned to Alexis with a raised brow and an unreadable expression.

"You didn't tell me he was coming," she said.

"Well, he is c'mon," Alexis replied and walked off.
What was that about?

Lex looked at me for a moment. "...you're?"
Yes, she saw me in the cafeteria the other day but I apparently didn't exist to her until this moment.

"Trevor," I replied.
"Nice to meet you." She studied me curiously.

"Yeah..." Then I walked off to look for Alexis.
Soon, we were in a black limo. How many did they have?

It was late in the evening when we drove off but the moonlight was so bright, it would have made a good substitute for the street lamps.

We arrived there about ten minutes later.
We got out of the car and Alexis told the driver when to pick them up. The limo zoomed off after that.

I wanted to ask them why they would make a show of coming to an ordinary bar with a limo when they just could literally walk there but I was afraid Alexis would just tell me "Hey man, You're modest and I'm...Alexis."
So I didn't ask.

Davie's was a nice bar with brick walls and glass doors. Orange, green and red neon tubes were arranged to spell it's name in cursive. Below that, there were two red glasses which were made to clink each other. The lights flickered at regular intervals.
We strolled in.

----------------
Wow, what a coincidence! They all went to Davie's.

Hmm, do ya think that means anything?
Maybe...or not really.

Thank you for reading

Feedback and votes are appreciated!

~Ash.