Chapter 5

NESSIE

Almost two months of Summer are already over and I have no idea how I survived it. I dot think I have. Every time I close my eyes, I see him. Adam. Close to me. Hands on my body. I open them and realize how wrong it is. I should get back with Mark. He is the one I love.

I am out in the park, reading on a bench as I get a call from April.

"Hey there, gorgeous", she greets me. I have to smile.

"Hi. How are you?", I ask her. I honestly hope she's doing better than I am. She hasn't deserved this. She's one of the bestest people I know.

"Amazing", she answers. I relax at that. "You?"

"I'm fine", I lie.

"Good fine or bad fine?", she asks me, reading right through me. I let out a broken chuckle.

"Good fine", I lie again.

If she noticed it was a lie, she doesn't show it.

"That's nice. So, girl, I called you to invite you to my birthday party. It will be epic. And since you're one of my besties, you have to be here. Don't give me more of the Mark crap. That asshole can go to hell, he's not keeping you apart from me on my birthday", April says.

I laugh.

Mark.

The guy it feels like I cheated on.

We were broken up at the time Adam and I did it. We are still broken up.

It doesn't count as cheating.

Right?

"Of course I'll come to your birthday", I answer. Then, to make some conversation but also out of curiosity: "Who else would be there?"

"You know. Dia, Kai, Cami and Coin", she says. They are the ones with whom she's spending the holiday in a summer house in Spain. Kai is her brother. Dia is our other bestie. Coin is her worst enemy and Kai's best friend. And Cami is Kai's fiancée. "The lovey-dovies are coming too from whatever romantic city they are in", she adds, referring to Soph, Nini, Alec and Caden. "And then Jacob, Adam and Leo. And you."

Adam...

"I'll be there", I add, although I am not so convinced this is a good idea.

"Great. Thanks", April lets out, her voice showing she's shouting even if she's miles away. "By the way, I'll text you the details. I already talked to Adam, he is picking up all of you with his plane in New York. He said he'll send you a text where to meet. I'll send you the address and every other detail. And a pack list. Bring a bathing suit. And a pair of black cargo pants", she lets out excited. I am rather confused at that, but agree.

I'll have to see Adam again...Damn it.

I mean, I somehow knew I can't avoid him forever, but I was hoping for more time. Not so little.

April and I say our goodbyes, her being overly excited the entire time. Knowing my bestie, I can already tell she went over to the top with planning her birthday. She turns twenty now. I already have. In May. On the 6th. I am the oldest one of the group. Only by a few months, but still.

I should have known better than to fuck Adam Cunnan.

I sigh and go back to my book, fighting the urge to bang my head against the closest wall.

~

It's a few days later as I get his messages.

ADAM: April must have told you I'm picking you up from New York. Jacob and Leo are coming too.

ADAM: I'll pick you up at Gate 11 at the airport. I'll send you a special pass to use for boarding.

That was it. No greeting. No goodbye. Nothing.

I guess he's still mad at me.

Honestly, I would be too if I were him.

I sigh out loud, mostly to myself, and start packing my bags.