Chapter 6

NESSIE

I try to hide behind a book as I feel Adam's gaze on me. He hasn't talked to me since I got in this airplane. Hasn't said anything rather than a greeting. I have been as quiet.

We're soaring in the air, seven hours more to go. And I have only made it through the first twenty minutes. Adam looks at me like he would come here and say something any second.

I think I might collapse. The book isn't excuse enough.

Luckily, the universe sends me help. In form of a tall; as tall as Adam, so probably six-feet something; blonde guy with blue eyes, named Jacob Grant. Another one of the Fab Five. Captain of Wrencore's volleyball team. Most sunshiny person I know.

"Hello hello", he says, sinking on the chair opposite mine as if he owns it.

"Hi", I let out, both surprised and thankful he's here.

He assesses the table between us for a while, taking in my highlighters and tabs for annotations. He then sneaks a glance at my book, filled with the named tabs. I try to hide the cover from him, a very shirtless man that had me drooling.

"Someone came prepared", he says smirking.

"Just some stuff", I reply, still confused about his presence. He only smiles and points to the book.

"Is he morally grey?", Jacob asks me. I look at him surprised and relax a bit. I'd rather talk books with him then talk about my existential crisis and biggest life mistake with Adam.

"Yes", I let out. Jacob chuckles.

"They are the best, aren't they?", he replies.

"Says the golden retriever guy", I add, doubting he'll know what that is. He surprisingly does.

"We're underrated as shit", he says.

He crosses his arms under his head, making himself cozy. He seems like planning to stay here for a while.

"Why are you here?", the question flies out off me.

"Already bored of me", he replies smirking. "Blue, we have seven hours more to go."

I have to chuckle at how he called me. My eyes are indeed blue. Very blue. And very big. Mom always told me they are the pearls that make my face the most special on Earth. I smile at that memory.

"No. How could I ever get bored of you?", I ask him. It wasn't intended as a flirt. He didn't see it as one either. I don't know anything about his love life and mine is a mess. I don't need flirting.

"I am glad to hear that. And to answer your question, you're the only one who is worth my company from here. Adam might be too, but he is too busy sending some important emails and being in online conferences, telling me to shut up the whole time. Leo is...Leo. And I don't actually like him. Plus, he's being boring as shit now. Stares at the seats in front of him. So, this leaves you." After what he says, I sneak a glance at Leo. Who is indeed just staring at the seats in front of him. I can help but chuckle a bit.

"I am flattered", I let out sarcastically.

"You should be", he replies winking. "So, I have an IPad with tones of films downloaded and a pair of headphones we can share."

"I have cookies", I offer. He smiles at me.

"I knew you were the interesting one", Jacob adds.

I place the cookies between us and let him choose the movie. A Taylor Swift documentary. I roll with it, since it is better than worrying on my own. I can still feel Adam's gaze on me, but it usually fades away with Jacob and I commenting the movie. He keeps telling me fun facts about Taylor Swift and I reply with what I know. Which isn't so much, but still.

I don't notice the hours passing by. For after the documentary, we watch another film. One I choose this time. Jacob meant it when he said he downloaded tones of films. He did. From every single genre. As I ask him why, he said he knew he wouldn't spend the time alone and wanted to give the person who will choose the film next options. I go with Beauty and the Beast, if only to check if he would actually watch that with me. He scoffs at first as he sees my decision, clearly not wanting to do it, but goes with it.

I only realize where I am as my best friends hug me the moment we arrive at the Summer house. We drove from Barcelona in Adam's car. We spent the drive in silence too, Jacob taking it upon himself to stop this from getting awkward. I make a note to myself to thank him for what he did today.

As I see Soph, Nini, Dia and April next to me, I allow myself to smile for once.

I haven't done that in a while.

And although Adam is here too, I make a promise I'll allow myself to have fun this week. He can invade my mind and thoughts and dreams and ruin my sanity, but I won't let him ruin this trip for me too.

I'll deal with him one day. When we're back in New York. And when I will have solved things out with Mark.

Until then, I'll help April have the best birthday ever.