Chapter 28

NESSIE

"Good morning",  Adam greets me as I walk in the living room. He's already at the kitchen isle, cooking breakfast. I look at him surprised. He's already in his tux, frying pan in his hand, making some eggs. He points me to sit at the table next to the window. I already see bread and vegetables on it.

He comes shortly after with the named eggs.

Adam takes a sit in front of me and I thank him for the food before we both begin eating. I watch him take the first bite. Not poisoned. I start eating too.

"Did you sleep well?", he asks me.

I look at him confused. He's only trying to make small talk, I figure out. I roll with it. Better than talking about the baby. Which we haven't until now.

"Yeah", I answer.

His nods. And takes another bite from the food. Then a deep breath. Then says: "I know this might be too soon, but you're welcomed to stay here and live if you want. Mark told me he sent you away from his apartment yesterday."

I look at him surprised. Then remember Mark stopped by his office. "I'm sorry he came to your office", I whisper, avoiding his question. "And for the nose."

"Don't worry", he lets out, assuring look in his eyes. "Besides, the nose is already healed. So don't think about it." He takes a deep breath. "Look, I don't know why you haven't told me about the baby before, and I am not going to ask you about it. If you decided not to tell me, you must have had your reasons. However, I can already promise you I'll take care of our child. And of you. I know how it's like to grow up with a father who you'd rather never have met. I am not going to be the same. I can't. I am going to be here for our baby and offer him every part of my heart."

I look in his eyes, looking for any sign of lie or doubt. I find none. He's saying the truth.

"I'm sorry about your father", I whisper, not knowing exactly what happened. Adam only swallows hard.

"Don't be. It's not your fault he never knew how to share his heart with others apart from himself."

It's my turn to swallow hard.

I have to change the topic. "Your house is nice."

"Our house", he corrects me. My heart skips a beat. Stupid hormones. "If you want, obviously", he adds.

"I'll think about it", I lie. I already made my decision. I'll stay here. Adam seems to love this baby. He deserves the chance to be close to him or her.

"You wouldn't live in Alec's room, of course. Just choose the room you want and it is yours. You can do anything you want with it. It's all yours. Choose as many rooms as you want. In case you want an office or a library, say it and it is done."

"Don't you have plans for those rooms?", I ask him surprised.

"My plan was to offer them to my family. I am doing that now."

He called me his family.

That's cause you are.

"We'll need a nursery", it's all I say. He sees it as it is. My approval that I'll stay. He smiles. An honest smile for once.

It's the best second view I've seen in my life. The first one would have to be the picture of our baby.

"Done", he replies. "We can go furniture shopping today if you want. So you'll be able to move to your room."

"Don't you have business?", I ask him confused. He only nods.

"I do. But I'd rather go furniture shopping with you. Turn this house into a home with you."