Chapter 23

ADAM

It feels strange being back in New York. Haven't been here ever since what happened with Nessie. Michael's operation went well, to our relief. We spent the three weeks after the surgery with him and Cassie, and I wanted to stay longer but they kicked me out of the house. He did. Said we were hovering too much around them and that they're grateful for everything we did but we should get our own lives.

I guess he's right.

So I am back here. Alec is already back at his penthouse, probably with Sofia. She came for the operation and a week afterwards. However, she had to leave then on urgent matters back to New York. What urgent matters, no one knows. Alec and Sofia hadn't seen each other since, only reunited today, and I bet the two will be inseparable for at least one month now. Alec already told me in the plane he's never going to spend so much time away from Sofia again. Said it was pure torture and that he'd rather die. His words.

I am alone in my house. I bought this place at the end of my junior year, thinking about the future. It is a huge house in one of New York's most expensive neighbourhoods. I didn't get to spend so much time in it so far, so more than half of the house is still empty. I only occupied some rooms. One bedroom, an office, the kitchen and living room, a gym downstairs and a guest room, mostly for Alec. I still have sixteen rooms with white walls and that's it.

I guess I should start renovating it, but I never find the time. Or motivation. I realized I bought a huge house for myself, and that I have no use for most of it. The question comes, why did I buy this place? Good question. First of all, the location. It's twenty minutes away from Alec's hotel, building in which he occupies the last two floors and lives there and only fifteen minutes away from my HQ. Second of all, it's a town house but it has a huge garden, and I really wanted a garden. Then, the basement is an Olympic pool. And fourth of all, I guess my heart was still hoping for a family of my own one day.

So...town house.

I sigh as I sink in the bed. Tomorrow, I'll go back to the office. I'll have to check the latest changes, see what happened with me away in the company, check my email, try to update one of our software and maybe pay Alex Callahan a visit.

But that all can wait.

Now, I just want to sleep and forget about the dreams that haunt me. For I only dream of what I can't have. Her.