Chapter 36

NESSIE

"Hey, Jenna, Curt", I say walking out in the garden, where the two were on a break. They started taking more breaks lately. I don't know why but I also started getting worried. I didn't ask them though, since I didn't want to be rude. But I do worry.

Jenna is the first one who spots me. She waves and makes me a sign to join them. I look at the empty counter in the bookstore and panic. What if a client comes? Jenna smiles at me encouraging and I come join them, taking an empty chair on the way so I can sit down. My back hurts again and the baby bump started feeling like carrying a watermelon.

"How can we help you, sweetie?", Jenna asks me. She is smiling bright at me. Curt is too. I take a deep breath.

"What I am about to ask you might sound weird, since it is not professional or about work, but I'm going to ask you anyway and I'll completely understand if you say no, I would too and..."

"Breath, Nessie", Jenna stops me from hyperventilating. I take a deep breath and calm down a bit. Just a bit. I am still afraid to ask the next thing.

I take another deep breath and begin: "As you might know, I am getting married next week." Even I can't believe as I say that. Time has gone by so fast. It's already my wedding day next Saturday. And on Wednesday, the girls all managed to get free from classes for a few days, so we leave to Paris for my bachelorette. We stay there for Wednesday and Thursday, on Friday we're back and have a long spa day to make ourselves ready for the big day. For I chose to have not one, not two, but four bridesmaids. Soph, Nini, April and Dia. The ones who have been with me through so much and the ones who always make me smile. "And I know this might be a lot to ask, but I was hoping you could bring me down the aisle", I continue.

Jenna and Curt gasp. I continue, tears down my face. "You see, I have no relatives left. My parents passed away some years ago. My grandparents too. I have no aunts or uncles. You started feeling like family to me, so I was hoping you could be with me on the big day."

The couple still looks at me surprised. They then share a look. And Curt nods once. Jenna smiles bright and begins crying. "We'd love to do that, sweetie. Thank you", she answers. I come hug her and we both end up crying in the hug. "Thank you", she whispers again. And again.

"Thank you", I tell her back.

She lets me go to look me in the eyes. "It's a wonder that we got to meet you, Nessie. Guess the name of this place was fate after all." She takes a deep breath and wipes away the tears still rolling down her face. "A wonder."

I smile at that. Maybe that's what everything has been. A wonder.