Chapter 27

NESSIE

I don't know why I agreed. I should have stayed with the girls at the dorm. But maybe this was my chance to see if I want to let Adam in the life of our baby. See how he lives, learn more about him.

So I said yes.

He is now driving us on the road. We're in a fancy sports car, that doesn't seem to be Adam's. It's a red Ferrari, looking shiny as new. I know Adam would have a fancy car too, but not this one.

It turns out I was right. It is Alec's car. His car is still at the parking spot of his office. He came to me as soon as he could.

I notice the Chanel lipstick in the cup holder. Bright red. Screaming Soph. For sure Alec's car.

We drive in silence for the rest of the ride. It's only once I ask: "Will you take me to a hotel?"

He shakes his head. Then says: "No. We're going home."

I don't let out that the place he's taking me to isn't my home. And probably won't become either. But I bite my bottom lip and don't say anything.

We stop in front of a pair of huge gates. Adam drives closer to what looks like a touch screen and types the password, followed by the screen taking his Face ID. It doesn't surprise me. The guy owns a security company. Kinda expected his house would be a fortress.

As soon as the doors open, we drive inside the place. And it is not just a place. This is a whole estate. A huge parking space in front of what looks like a villa. All modern and shiny. Adam parks the car and steps out of it. I admire the confidence with which he walks. He looks like the type of man one would picture behind the wheel of this car. He comes and opens my door and helps me out. He wants to keep holding my hand but I quickly free myself from his touch. He shakes a bit surprised, but wipes it away, going back to his serious expression.

Adam takes a set of keys from his pocket and opens the front door. I enter in what seems to be the coolest building in the world. A bright living room, that isn't at all what I expected. I expected something cold, to match his personality. Or what I know about it. This place isn't cold at all. It's welcoming. White walls, paintings on them. A fluffy carpet in front of a couch filled with cushions. A TV. Bookshelves filled with old books and photo frames. It's an open space combining a kitchen and the dining room to the living room. The kitchen is as big as my room in the dorm. A huge kitchen isle with chairs in front of it, tones of cupboards, a fridge, all the newest gadgets one can wish for. An oven so big that it could be coming straight out of my dreams. The dining room surprises me as well. A table, big, for eight people. There is a smaller table near the window, a round one with two chairs and the seats on the window's bench. The table in the dining room feels more like for family reunions. Eight comfy chairs to fit everybody.

"Welcome to my house", he says, playing host. "Here are the living room, kitchen and dining room."

He leads me down a hallway to another room. "The main bathroom", he explains. Then to another room. This place looks interesting. A huge painting that looks like something Ancient Greek on the wall, behind a big oak desk. Everything is organised on the desk. Pencils, pens, a notebook, three screens and a keyboard. The room has some bookshelves, a coffee table with two armchairs and a pool table. "My study." He leads me to the rest of the rooms on this floor. All five of them. All empty, just white walls. I look at him surprised.

"I moved here at the end of my junior year. I've been busy lately and haven't spent much time in New York. I've been in LA most of the time. I haven't had the chance to finish up to house."

I swallow hard. So he'll be one of those fathers who work the whole time and are never there for the child.

"Luckily", he interrupts my thoughts, "everything is going well in LA now so I'll have the time to work on this place."

So he'll have time. Worry fading away.

He takes me downstairs. Only three doors. We enter the first one. All sorts of machines that one would see at the gym appear in my sight. A treadmill, some weights, a box sack. "The training area", he explains. We leave the room and enter another one. Which holds a pool. A freaking full-sized pool. And not just any pool. A fucking Olympic pool in his basement. "The pool", he explains and I raise an eyebrow at that. He even has a Whirlpool. Adam only looks proud at the place. "One of the reasons I bought the house."

I don't ask any further questions. I have a feeling I won't understand. This guy is filthy rich. It appears an Olympic pool in the basement is normal for him.

Spoiler alert: it's not normal. Not normal.

He takes me out of the room and to the last door in the basement. He opens it and reveals an empty room, only with a big screen on one of the walls. "I wanted to turn this one into a cinema. I'll start working on that again soon."

I nod at him. Not commenting anymore. He has a fucking Olympic pool in his house.

We walk the stairs up and to the upper floor. More doors. Too many. He shows me some rooms. His bedroom. A room with a bed, a wardrobe, another abstract painting, a coffee table with two armchairs, a private bathroom. While the rest of the house screams cozy, this seems more intimate. Private. We quickly walk out and after seeing the rest of empty rooms, we arrive at another door. He opens it and this place gets darkest room award. Everything is either black or grey. No sign of color. None.

"The guest room", he says. I raise an eyebrow. Why do his guests live like in a funeral? "Alec took over the place. He's here at least once pro week. I let him do the design."

Now it makes sense. So does the Chanel lipstick on the nightstand. Or the huge painting of kisses.

"You can stay in here for the night", he tells me. "Don't worry, the bed sheets are clean and new. I'll fetch you some towels. I can show you the rest of the house if-"

"Tomorrow", I cut him short. I just want to sleep. Today was too much. I want today to be gone. I need to sleep.

"Alright", he agrees. I can see hurt in his eyes, but he quickly hides it. "I'll bring you some towels. And something to change in. I'll be in my room in case you need anything."

I nod at him. And hope he leaves. He gets the hint and walks out of the room. I go shower.

The water washes over me like I'de be washed by the sea.

I need to sleep.

As I walk out of the bathroom minutes later, I find a set if silk pyjamas that fit me perfectly and some fresh towels. Together with a cup of tea and some cookies. And a note reminding me he's in his room if I'd need anything else.

I sigh and take my phone. I call sick from work tomorrow. I doubt I'll be able to think straight after today. Jenna tells me she hopes I'll be better soon and says I should ask her in case I need something. I thank her, place my phone on the nightstand next to the lipstick and tuck myself in bed.

I stare at the ceiling forcing away my thoughts until my eyes shut.