Chapter 44

NESSIE

I know I am not supposed to work today, but I decided to stop by the bookstore, nevertheless. Jenna and Curt told me before I left for the holidays that they will probably stay at the store, since it would be Christmas and there are usual more costumers around that time of year. I asked them if I should postpone the vacation and they told me that I should go enjoy time with my husband. Looking back at it, how true they were. Adam actually feels like my husband now. And not just part of an agreement we made. Before we went on that holiday, I was seriously considering not wearing the wedding band, but now every time I look at it I have to smile.

He is my husband.

Adam is my husband.

The man I love is my husband.

I smile again and slip the knitted glove back on, wanting to open the car door. Adam grabs my wrist first. He is on the driver's seat, since he insisted he'll give me a ride before he goes to the office.

"What is it?", I ask him chuckling. He's back to his tux, a winter coat over it. And he looks at me so filled with love, I have the urge to lean over the seat and kiss the heck out of him. However, I have to stop by Jenna and Curt first.

"I love you", he says, taking my hand in his and giving it a kiss. I smile even brighter at him.

"I love you too", I reply. He smiles now too. I told him that I loved him for the first time at the cabin. We were stargazing and I just had to. I couldn't keep it inside any longer. He cried as he heard those three words coming out of my mouth. And couldn't believe it. I repeated them and kissed him until he understood I love him.

Because I love him.

"Be quick, love. I'll miss you", he tells me, kissing my hand again.

"You'll be at the office anyway", I tease him.

"Want me to come with you instead?", he offers. I am surprised, but I know from his tone that he would do that. If I would want him to drop every plan he has today and spend the whole time with me, he would do that.

"I'll be alright. Go do what you have to do", I answer. He looks a bit disappointed, and I chuckle again, now really leaning over the passenger seat to reach his lips and kiss him. How does he manage to always make me burn? Like, every kiss is only better than the last one. "I'll see you later at home."

He freezes at that. It's the first time I called his house my home. I've been feeling that for a while, yet never told him.

"Home?", he asks me, his voice unsteady.

"Home", I answer, kissing him again. "Wherever you are, that's my home."

He chuckles and I can feel a tear roll down his face. It's warm and it wets my face as well, since I am kissing him and we are barely any inch apart.

"I love you", he whispers to me, not taking his lips of mine. "I love you so much."

I let go and smile at him. The only reason I did let go is because he actually has work to do and I need to see Jenna and Curt and I am afraid that if I would have kissed him one more time, I wouldn't have been able to stop and both of us would have ditched our schedules.

"Love you too", I say, closing the car door. He waves at me as he starts the engine and I send him an air kiss. As I walk to the door of the bookstore, the smile on his face is still all that I see.

~

The door is locked. Which is unusual since I know for a fact Jenna and Curt aren't anywhere on holiday and that they should be here. I reach for the keys in my tote bag and unlock the door, entering inside. It is darkness. No one seems to be here.