Chapter 20

NESSIE

"What in the world?", I can hear a voice from behind me. I immediately turn and find a man, probably the same age as Jenna, staring at me surprised. He has the same shade of grey hair, probably a bit lighter than hers. He is wearing a dark blue sweater, some beige pants and brown shoes. And I can tell he is Curt. I know he is Curt. We met this morning.

"Did I do something wrong?", I ask panicked. I really want this job. I don't just need it, I want it. Making a mistake on my probation day is not what I want to do.

"No, for sure not. You are just working too hard. It's already two o'clock and you haven't taken any break since you came here."

It's true. I worked from eight o'clock until now, hoping to impress the couple. I didn't expect they'll see it as something wrong.

"I'm sorry...", I whisper. He interrupts me.

"Don't apologize for working hard. We need someone as passionate as you in this place", he says. My heart jumps at that. Maybe I'll get the job. "But you are allowed to take breaks. Go help yourself with one of the cinnamon rolls. They are on the counter in the coffee shop. I've just taken them out of the oven. You can join Jenna outside on the terrace. She told me to invite you."

"Are you sure?", I ask him. He nods.

"Don't worry, kiddo, I got this", Curt tells me. I smile at the nickname kiddo. I haven't had anyone call me like that in a while. "Take a break", he insists.

I nod and thank him. I then walk over to the counter and find the cinnamon rolls right where he said they will be. I haven't brought anything from home to eat at lunch, so this looks like a miracle. I take one from them and place it on a plate, take a fork and go outside on the terrace. I find Jenna exactly where Curt told me she would be. She is sitting in her yellow dress and heels, relaxing in the sun.

"Oh Nessie", she says as she spots me. "Do come join me." I nod thankfully and come sit at the table with her. She smiles at me and adds: "Curt's cinnamon rolls are the best. That's why we wanted a bookstore combined with a coffee shop and a florist's. We met reading in the high school's library, so books have always been our thing. He loves baking, I love flowers. It was a way to do what we love and share it with the world."

"I am glad you decided to open this place", I reply. "It really is amazing."

She nods thankfully and looks from my plate to my eyes. "So, while being at it, why not get this employment over it."

I look at her surprised. "You want to employ me?"

She chuckles. "Nessie, you have worked harder today than both Curt and I in a week. You already sorted the entire romance and philosophy sections. Of course we want to employ you." Jenna takes a deep breath. "However, I will have to ask you some questions first. But don't see it as an interview or so. I want you to answer from your heart."

I nod, although I am a bit afraid.

"Okay, let's begin", Jenna says. "First question: You said you would like to work full-time. Do you still stand by it? Don't get me wrong, I am just trying to get a picture of what your work at our place would be like."

"Yes", I answer. I mean it. "I would like to work full-time. I am still at college, but online. I only have classes Wednesdays starting seven in the evening. I can finish my other assignments at night or in the weekends. I am going to be here for this job."

"Perfect", she says, looking like she is sorting some things in her head right now. "Now, I know this is a typical question, but why do you want this job?"

I don't have to think about it to answer. "I want this job because I really love books. They have always been my world. Being able to work in a place surrounded by books feels better than any job I have ever dreamed of. I also love baking and flowers, so the fact that the bookstore also has a coffee shop and florist's makes this dream even better."

She smiles. Then replies: "I am really looking forward to having you here with us, Nessie. Do you have any questions or anything else you'd like to say?"

I have to tell her.

I have to.

If I will have doctor's appointments during work time, she has to know. And what if the pregnancy gets complicated and I can't work as hard? I have to tell her.

"There is one thing", I begin, my voice shaking. Jenna looks at me worried. I only say: "I am pregnant." Her face doesn't change, only continues to listen to me. So I continue: "I am still in the first months, so I have no problem working hard and all. But I might have to go to some appointments from time to time." I am crying now. "I really hope this isn't a problem. I really really want this job, but I can understand if you wouldn't have me. Neither did many of the other places I applied to. But this is the first job that I apply for and I actually want it with every part of my heart. However, as I said, I can understand if..."

"You're hired", Jenna interrupts me.

"I'm sorry, what?!", I ask surprised. She looks at me smiling.

"Don't worry about the baby, Nessie. A child should be a blessing, not a burden. I am not keeping you away from the job you want just because you're pregnant." Her smile grows bigger. "And besides, Curt and I will be happy to support you on the way. You see, we never had kids and are dying for a grandchild. We even have bought small baby clothes at home just in case we'll ever find someone to gift them to. Now we have you."

I look at her surprised. It's then I lose it and go hug her. "Thank you", I whisper to her. "Thank you, thank you, thank you."

"Don't worry", she says.

And for once, I believe her. And although I have thousand worries in my head and know I'd rather worry than let myself be alone with my thoughts, I listen to her. And for one second, I let myself breathe.

I haven't done that in a while.