Chapter 19

NESSIE

"It's been good", Mark says as we're walking hand in hand through the city. It's already September, the middle of it, and classes have started at Wrencore. Mark and I have been living together for three weeks now and we started falling in this routine already. In the mornings, he is the first one to leave to go to college. His apartment isn't far away from campus, only fifteen minutes by subway. I am still sleeping as he leaves, so he always prepares me my bowl and the cereals, so that when I wake up I can find the table set with breakfast on it. I then go into town and to the library, to get some assignments done. We're studying The Great Gatsby and my head is just so filled with it. After lunch, which I usually skip or just grab an apple, I try to find myself a job. It's harder when I haven't graduated college. The conferences which I have to attend with my professor are on Wednesdays, starting seven in the evening, so I have plenty of time throughout the days. I had a probation day at a coffee shop yesterday, but it didn't work out. I mean, I did good and they liked me, but they found someone else. So I am back where I started.

The girls always come visit me, much to Mark's despair. We started visiting during the days only, so that my friends and my boyfriend don't meet. Soph and Nini organized a picnic for me in the park two days ago, four days ago all of us five went to the cinema to watch this new romcom, April took me to Coney Island once and Dia, Soph and I visited the MET another day. I also spend some time in Soph's art gallery, Le Baiser, and help her out with the artworks. She opened it last January, so only a few months ago, and is still working to settle everything. She has some permanent exhibitions and some that change. She's working to open some studios for the kids now, to organize free art classes. I'm helping her out as much as I can.

Today is Mark's free day, only had two classes in the morning. He picked me up from the library, now carrying my tote bag filled with my learning material. I asked him if I should carry it, but he told me he's fine. I'm secretly grateful. My back is hurting a bit today. I am looking forward to the appointment next week. The one in which the doctor will check if everything is alright with my baby. And I get to hear his or her heartbeat for the first time. I was thinking I would go alone at first, given the fact my boyfriend has no idea about this child and the father has as much clue as Mark. However, the girls quickly stepped in and told me they'll come. Darrel, Soph's private bodyguard, will drive us there, so that we don't have to take the bus or subway. They are all excited to see their niece or nephew for the first time. So am I.

"Really? I'm glad to hear that", I reply to Mark's answer. He's been telling me how college has been so far. My heart still aches a bit for Wrencore, but I deep down know I made the right decision.

"I mean, it's not perfect. You're not there. And I miss you", he tells me and spins me around, only to end it with a hug and a kiss.

"Look at you being all romantic", I counter. The moments like this one are the ones that make me want to tell him everything. Stop lying to him. But I can't. It's for the best. Both for him and the baby.

"Only for you, Nessie", he whispers and kisses me again. I blush.

We continue walking and I spot something on our way: "Mark, look!", I tell him. "It's your favorite ice cream truck."

He smiles and takes my hand, leading us to the truck. And that's when I see it.

On the other side of the road, in an old brick wall house, lies a bookstore. But not just any bookstore, one that also has a coffee shop. And a florist's. The window showcases are filled with books and flower decorations. There are light bulbs hanging above the door and in the little garden in front of the building. The garden is like a terrace, with some colorful pastel tables and chairs. People are reading books, sitting on the chairs, enjoying a piece of cake and a cup of tea. The light bulbs above their heads imitate the stars. The garden is beautiful, flowers planted all around. There is a sign on the door. "Wonder Bookshop".