CHAPTER 1√

Elijah

His grasp on the metal bars tightened with every passing moment, turning his knuckles white from the strain. His breathing was heavy as he fixed his eyes on the door which would open at any moment. His stomach groaned with hunger and he looked down. His eyes shift from blue to silver.

There were no windows in his confined room and little to no space. Having spent the last 16 years of his life in that colourless cell he never learnt to call home, Elijah felt almost claustrophobic. His palms held the bars and they began to sizzle under his grasp, melting slowly. He gasped and jumped back before rushing to the corner in fright.

He hated it, all the things he could do, he spent most of the time trying to keep it in. He learnt that strong emotions often had his body reacting in weird and tingling ways, ways he knew they wanted. His head snapped to the door as it creaked slowly, opening to reveal a shadow of a person. Heavy booted steps echoed around in the empty room. The tall bearded man with brown eyes and an evil smile seemed to creep in with a chuckle.

"Hello, there, little guy. " he chuckled huskily sending a disgusted shiver down Elijah's spine." Ready for some grub? " he slid a plastic holder through the gap near the ground and it slid inside the cell and to Elijah's dirty, grim filled feet. He looked up and saw the hungry look painted on the man's face as his eyes roamed Elijah's barely clothed stick like figure.

"Such a waste,"  he sighed, "You would make such an excellent lay, I reckon."  his said with a slight southern accent making itself present. He turned his back to Elijah and mumbled under his breath, "such a waste."  The door shut closed but Elijah did not move. Not until he stopped hearing the heavy click of the man's boots.

He reached for the plastic container and brought it towards him. He swallowed dryly in anticipation, he was so hungry that it all looked appetizing,oddly enough, to him. The container was divided, one space for the all too dry bread,one for the small stick of yellow butter which tasted suspiciously like fish paste and another for water which had things floating in it. He took the transparent square which had the water,first he tried to grab what he could of the mysterious floating objects,a small string and even a bit of grass then he brought it to his lips,he took small sips,careful not to swallow small rocks that had been at the bottom. It was only a handful of water and he knew it would be at least another week before they were so generous. He swallowed it without fuss, he didn't bother to guess the underlying taste it left in his mouth,he didn't mind it anymore,it hardly even bother him so much anymore.

He pushed the container towards the opening, they would be back to take it. He hugged his legs to his chest then with a sigh and closed his eyes, he shivered and rubbed his arms for warmth. He felt so cold. The door creaked and the bearded man came and took the container without a word this time and left. The clicking of the lock sounded in his ears. He opened his eyes, he wanted so bad to gain heat. He didn't want to use the power which flowed in his veins but he had no choice. It was a matter of life or death in this hellhole he'd learnt that years ago, but that didn't mean he didn't try to use less of his power. He held out his palm and rubbed his finger tips together.

He glanced at the door and then looked to the center of his cell, he pointed a finger and he felt the familliar and unwanted tug at the bottom of his stomach before a burst of fire erupted from the floor. He sighed as a wave of warmth coated his skin. He felt as the room heated and he smiled a faint smile into the night, or day, you could never really tell in this dark place. With no windows or clocks, it wasn't easy to tell and it didn't really matter because he wasn't going anywhere. He couldn't or rather he wasn't sure how.

Suddenly as he rested his head against the cement wall and closed his eyes,images of a woman he would never see again began to flicker behind his eyelids like a movie.

They brought a faint smile to his lips. The memories were all that really kept him sane,they were all he had for entertainment as well.

The woman had long naturally white hair that reached just bellow her butt. Her eyes were as blue as his own and they were always full of warmth. Elijah sighed as his body sagged against the wall with the memory of his beautiful mother. In this memory they were outside, and they were playing tag. Her hair was fluttering in the air as she ran away laughing.

You can't catch me! She told Elijah who was only 3 years old. Most people can hardly remember much of their earlier childhood days,yet Elijah could see from when he was 2 years rather clearly,he assumed it was probably because he was caged with nowhere to go,with nobody to make new memories for him to remember more vividly. Anyway,he was such a small thing then and he ran with everything he could to catch her. Of course she wasn't even running that fast so he caught her eventually.

They fell down to the ground together in a fit of laughter. As they laughed,his mother waved her hand around them and a flurry of flowers began to bloom. They floated around them which caused Elijah to clap happily and squeal with happiness. This is awesome! He declared hugging his mothers neck.

Oh,Eli, his mother sighed touching his head. I love you... She whispered into his hair. Eli love you too! He said gleefully and brought laughter to his mother in his choice to say it as though talking in third person.

Elijah sighed happily then and opened his eyes to the harsh reality of cold cement walls and loneliness. He swallowed feeling a heavy sadness on his chest. Was this all his life could amount to? What was the actual point of his life? Why couldn't he be free? Why did he have to be a captive? These questions bounced around his head which gave him a headache. They were in the form of nonsense of course considering his limited vocabulary. He sighed then and looked around him. The fire was crackling in front of him and staring at it made his head hurt even more.

As he continued looking over everything he tilted his head then as he stared at at the walls. The back of his brain seemed to tingle.

Mabye I could... He looked to the wall beside him and then the door. If only he knew what was beyond the wall he leaned on, it would help to have that bit of knowledge. He sighed and leaned his head on the slightly moist wall and closed his eyes, enjoying the heat.

I am always with you... Elijah blinked his eyes opened slightly as the voice seemed to echo around him. The fire seemed to form a face but Elijah missed it when he tried for another look,but he could already see the bright blue eyes and long white hair,the face he adored so much and that was always so alive in his mind. He whispered the words he knew all to well, the words which brought him just a little bit of strength,the words that he always dreams of,that have never left him. In his hoarse voice he spoke aloud for the first time in 16 years.

"I love you. "