CHAPTER 10√

Elijah

It hadn't changed. The water was still and murky. It was nature at its best and it was beautiful even if it had been used wrongly. Elijah fixed his bright blue eyes on the water in concentration, trying to see beyond it. He felt a chill at the back of his neck.

"Why can't you see? " he mumbled to himself. He could see it, right in front of him was the lake he came out of, where the holding cell, now a pile of rocks could be found in its depths. He turned back to them and then it dawned on him. He looked down and along the edge of the lake. He saw a faint white line going around. He bent down and touched it.

See not, hear no- he gasped and pulled his hand away at the voice which echoed. It was dark and evil yet very very familiar.

"What is it? " He looked up at Donovan who was right by him." What do you see?" Elijah looked back down and started following the line. It ended at the big oak tree to their right. He looked at the guys and suddenly an idea struck, it might be crazy but it was worth a try. He licked his lips and stood in front of Donovan who looked so adorable in his frustrated and confused state.

"Do you trust me? " he asked staring into his eyes which were so dark as he faced away from the sun.

"Of course." he answered with no hesitation and so much sincere honesty.

"Good, I'm going to try something. It won't hurt... I think. " Donovan's face grew wary but he gave a nod. Elijah turned and dipped his hand into the water. He looked back at Donovan and touched his forehead with his pointer and forefinger. Donovan gasped and blinked. Where Elijah touched it glowed a faint blueish silver colour and Donovan blinked more, Elijah felt the tug in his stomach and his eyes shifted to silver and remained for a moment longer than usual then back to his usual bright blue. He removed his finger and looked expectantly at Donovan who stared behind him.

"H-How did you do that? " Donovan whispered in shock as he slowly brought his gaze to Elijah who felt a hint of panic flutter in him, he stepped back.

"I c-can do...a lot of things," the guys were staring wide eyed at Elijah.

"Your fingers were glowing! " one of them said, his voice so surprised and child-like.

"What just happened?" Winston asked. Elijah watched Donovan who turned from him.

"What do you mean 'a lot of things'? " Elijah licked his lips. The term surfaced in his mind. He gave a chuckle at his surprisingly annoying memory.

"I'm a Caster." They stared in confusion. Donovan looked to him with cautious eyes, a flash of hurt appeared but was gone all to fast.

"A what? " Winston asked incredulously, Arson was the only one who was calmer and he studied Elijah with new found interest.

"A warlock." Arson supplied, trying to help in Elijah's explanation. Elijah glared at the term he used as the others faces morph into realization.

"I am a Caster. " Elijah insisted. He didn't like the sound of that word. Arson smiled shyly, his eyes flashed apologetically.

"I know, it's just that they know the terms Warlock or Wizard." he clarified trying to lessen his anger.

"Oh, yeah... But don't ever refer to me as a Wizard or Warlock...I don't like it. " Elijah surprised himself at his own tone. Those words made him think of stereotypes, of something he wasn't, of people with wands and pointy hats and long cloaks, he didn't want any of those. He didn't like that. Donovan continued to look at the water.

"Why didn't you say?" Elijah looked down and rubbed his arm, he knew the question went beyond just those words. He knew deep down he had hurt him without meaning to.

"I hadn't even known myself until just now. " Donovan looked at him, his expression softened.

"Oh...your selective memory must be a big pain for you." Elijah nodded. He hoped he conveyed how sorry he was to have not told him first,though he couldn't really help it, Donovan's small smile eased his mind.

"Your supposed to be extinct, though, along with the rest. " Arson stepped forward.

"What?" Elijah didn't like the thought of dying,but that question touched something inside him and he tried not to overreact and over think it. Arson looked conflicted before glancing around.

"I think we should discuss this back at the pack house." Everyone nodded in agreement. Donovan crouched at the bed of the lake.

"It didn't make sense.." Donovan stated watching the still lake. Elijah cautiously crouched by him.

"What didn't make sense? " he whispered. He was relieved when Donovan didn't look at him with resent or hatred or bitterness. He was looking at him tenderly, with kindness.

"Why someone would take you and keep you under water." Donovan looked at the guys all huddled up behind them. "Whoever did this probably wanted to use you to their advantage or something, Elijah." he nodded, glad that he could see it, "Keeping you under water kept the werewolves who travel passed here and the packs closer by, from scenting you out and..." he paused, "It keeps people from feeling your presence." Elijah pursed his lips together. He didn't understand how. How did this person know if the Casters have been extinct? He wanted to know but he wouldn't get answers here. He stood up.

"Let's go, " he says," we won't find anything here. " Donovan stood and held onto his shoulder. Elijah enjoyed the sparks which seemed to have intensified. He looked up at him as he was already watching him.

"You sure?" he asked.

"Yeah. " The guys turn to the lake again and Elijah wondered," Can you see it? The lake, " they look to him and nod. He blinked. He never thought they would see, he'd only touched Donovan after all. He looked down and stared at his hands. He was a lot stronger than he thought he was and it frightened him. Donovan pulled him along but he paused looking at the suddenly disturbed water. Its stillness gone and he blinked. Ripples drew the once still water in circles. A prickling sensation occurred on his neck,but faintly and almost unnoticeable.

"What is it? " Donovan asked and they all seemed to became hyper aware of their surroundings, they stood in a protective stance and Elijah smiled reassuringly and glanced back at the lake.

"Nothing, just...just saw something for a moment..." Donovan hummed and looked at him in thought before nodding. They shifted and Elijah climbed on still looking at the water. It all felt wrong, missing, the prickling sensation on his neck became that more noticeable, but they bounded off back to the pack house before he could think of anything else.