CHAPTER 14√

Donovan

He felt it in his bones, he saw the lie before it was released. Donovan could only keep his mind on Elijah's small white lie, he wondered what else he would lie to him about, if his lying would get worse, he couldn't help the ache in his chest at the prospect of his mate being unable to trust him. He couldn't tolerate it but he didn't want to push, he sighed and stared at the ceiling in his office, he thought, maybe it's too soon, he needs more time. He had decided that two days ago but he couldn't brush it off completely. He knew he should speak to him about it soon but now he had to plan out his sisters 18th birthday which was in a week.

"What are you think about so deeply?" Winston, his ever present best friend and Beta asked as he went through the list of people to invite.

"Elijah," Winston frowned.

"That's weird,usually you would get this spark in your eye and a stupid smile on your face when you do... What happened?" he watched him and Donovan sighed and ran his hand over his face.

"He lied to me," Winston's eyebrows shoot up in shock and he went silent for a moment.

"Hurts doesn't it? " he whispered and Donovan frowned but gave him a nod, "Don't feel too bad, he got here like, a few weeks ago, I think... He will tell you whatever it is...he was probably just scared."

"That's what I think too but..." he shrugged and puckered his lips.

"I get it man, Ricardo lies to me all the time, " Winston's tone was sad and broken,Donovan felt even worse then for forgetting how his best friend would have been happier if he could at least get his mate to smile his way,or willingly touch him. He felt like an ass for even talking about a small white lie with someone who couldn't even reap the benefits of a mate as he did often.

"I am really sorry, man... How is it going with you two though?"

"It could be better, he doesn't talk much, " Winston shrugged like it wasn't a big deal but his eyes said otherwise," I guess he just needs time? " he asked himself.

"Give him time, perhaps he is still freaked out about what he told us, maybe he is just protecting himself." Winston winced and nodded. A knock sounded and they both turned to it.

"Come in, " Donovan said strongly. Elijah's hair fell to the side as he peaks his head in. He smiled and entered. Donovan's heart beat faster at the sight of him in his black shorts which are above the knee and a plain blue T-shirt which brought out his eyes.

"Hey," he said with a bright smile. Winston beamed.

"Hey little guy! " Elijah glared and huffed before taking a seat beside him after planting a kiss on Donovan's lips.

"What are you guys doing locked up in here the whole day?" he asked eyeing the papers curiously.

"Planning Carrin's 18th birthday. " Donovan stated and Elijah's eyes widen.

"It's her birthday?"

"In a week. " Elijah frowned.

"Aw man, what are you getting her?" Donovan shrugs.

"A bike? " Winston and Elijah stare at him like he lost his marbles which he most probably did.

"What are you getting her, Winston?"

"I saw this cute bracelet at the mall, I think she'll like it, " he grinned and Elijah beamed and before turning to Donovan.

"That is something you get a teenage girl." Donovan smirked and held his hands up.

"Fine, mabye, I will get her a car. What are you getting her? " he shrugged.

"I'll think of something." he smirked and then offered to help. They spend an extra two hours working on the decor being that they had made a mess of it all according to Elijah who claimed to know her style better than them. Donovan watched with a small smile as he fussed over everything. Once they were done Elijah was firmly in Donovan's lap, packing everything into a folder. Winston had long been gone.