CHAPTER 8√

Elijah

"That went well, " Donovan remarked once Elijah was in the warm atmosphere of his office. It was a mixture of red, black, gray and white. Elijah looked away from the painting of a woman with pale skin and glowing green eyes. She looked like she was floating in the air, her pale green sleeveless dress fluttered around her beautifully and her background was a deep blood red.

"What? " Elijah questioned Donovan while following behind him to his desk. He sat on the black with white metal chair across from him.

"Dinner," he clarified, "it went better than I had expected." Elijah nodded and looked around the office. "Okay, something more important." He looked up at him.

"Important, " he repeated," right. "

"Why were you in the field, alone?" Elijah pursed his lips together before letting out a soft breath.

"I...I had been running, " his mind wandered to the feeling of the soil under his bare feet, the way his muscles tensed," It felt good to run after so long..." his brows furrowed as his mind blanked. He shook his head and refocused, "Anyway... I ran because... I had finally escaped, I couldn't stop until I felt sure that I was far enough." Donovan peaked up, listened more carefully.

"What did you escape from? " Elijah blinked. He was so lost in thought he was surprised to hear Donovan speak.

"I...I'm not really sure, but," he spoke slower, "I was imprisoned most of my life," he surprised himself with this bit of information, he wanted more but be drew a blank. The way he spoke was a smaller shock to him, it was weird how he wouldn't have been able to form a sentence two days ago and now, he was recalling memories, although limited but it was something and, and he was talking to someone, other than himself. "Since...since I was this many," he held up four slim fingers. He stared at his fingers and whispered, "four."

"Four years old? " Donovan questioned lowly, the fury was thick in his voice. Elijah flinched and the lights began to flicker. Donovan stared up with surprise. He dismissed it and looked to Elijah," Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you, " he noddded," Please, continue. "

"Um...I don't remember much," he confessed, looking down at his hands, "just being kept in a small room, a cell really." he described the confined cell and Donovan's eyes shifted to a bright orange-yellow sunset colour. Elijah could tell he was getting angry. He wolf didn't like the story and it warmed his heart.

"Do you know where it is? " he asked through clenched teeth and Elijah nodded cautiously," Where? "

"Under the lake," he answered, "Not far from that field." Donovan nodded as though taking notes.

"Under? Are you sure? "

"Yes, right under the water, beneath the sand," Elijah was picturing the strange yet obvious hide out of his captor creation, he couldn't help think how smart it was. Donovan looked disbelieving, "I'm not lying," he sounded slightly angry.

"I'm not saying that you are, " he was being calm," I just wonder how they'd get their hide out under water, " Elijah scowled slightly, " but, it explains how you had yet to be found, " he went silent as he studied Elijah who furrows his eyes." How...old are you? If you can remember, that is, " Elijah felt his mind buzz.

"I'm probably 20 years of age," Something about it was true but not completely. He hadn't noticed his own reply until after and his eyes widened, "Funny, days ago, I wouldn't have been able to..." he bit his lip after trailing off his whisper.

"20?" Donovan was shocked at how young he is. "That would mean...you've been down there for 16 years." Elijah was stuck in his own thoughts, too far to pay him any attention. He only wondered how he suddenly remembered how old he is. Something wasn't right about this, but the question was what? What was wrong? What had changed? He didn't have the answers and he wanted, no, he needed them, desperately. He was beginning to feel very frustrated. He tried remembering his birthday, but nothing, his father or siblings, he drew blanks, his history, it seemed to be blocked and it frustrated him beyond belief. The only one he could seem to remember vividly was his mother's face,but no facts about her.

"Why can't I remember?" It was clear now that he could talk, he had full access to his vocabulary,somehow. He looked up at Donovan who was suddenly right in front of him, crouched down to eye level.

"It's okay," he was touching him, the tingles had him almost swooning. The were so familiar and so welcomed.

"No, " he looked down at his hand which drew circles on his right knee." It's not, I don't remember...anything. "

"Your mom?" Elijah shook his head miserably, "father? Any siblings?" Elijah continued to shake his head.

"Just my mothers face... And her voice and moment's with her.... But nothing else. " he said with misery.

"Is she...has she passed?" Elijah found himself nodding but he couldn't remember how. "I'm so sorry."

"All alone, " he whispered staring of to the side.

"Your not alone." he looked back at Donovan. "You have me."

"But...but I barely know you. "

"We can change that. I don't know you either but, I'd very much like to." Elijah lifted his finger and touched Donovan's bushy eyebrows trailing it to his chin with a small smile lighting up his features.

"Okay, " he whispered looking back into his eyes, they stayed in place for a moment, gazing into each others eyes.

"Where would you like to sleep?" Donovan asked breaking the peaceful silence between them. It was a valid question too, it was getting late, soon it would be morning.

"With you, " he didn't need to think about it but he wondered why he felt so safe and secure with him. His mind went blank in that moment. He seemed to be out of focus. A bright white light shone in his mind and he saw a pure white wolf walked towards him, his eyes the colour of orange-yellow sunset. He bowed and Elijah looked back at Donovan with furrowed brows, he wasn't sure what just happened, if it was a memory or a thought, or a vision.

I am always with you. The echo made him look back,it felt like a distant and haunting memory. He wondered what that was,and who the voice belonged to. He looked at Donovan who watched him. He had way too many voices in his head.

He didn't speak, he didn't have to. Elijah grasped Donovan's chin lightly. Staring into his eyes he felt the echo linked to him, to them.

"With you, " he repeated as confirmation. They didn't move, they didn't speak, no words were needed at that moment just them. Only them. With a soft smile Donovan stood, pulling Elijah along with him. Only with you.