CHAPTER 6√

Elijah

He woke with a start. His head snapped from left to right as he inspected his surroundings. His eyes widened with wonder, being locked up practically his whole life in a dark room with no windows or source of light, everything seemed foreign. His heart rate was returning to its normal beating, less erratic and more calm. His fingers were filthy, the rest of his body was less filthy because of his swim. His hair was damp. Still he was filthy compared to everything else. Suddenly he felt uncomfortable, he shifted his weight and moved to stand. He was so out of place in here. He hugged himself around his waist and ignored the pain in his legs and the hollowness of his stomach.

He stared at the dent he left on the bed before turning and biting his lip. He didn't know what to do with himself, need to go, he thought and spotted the door. He walked over to it and held onto the round knob. He pulled it but it wouldn't open, he began to panic. The thought of being trapped again was not appealing to him. No! No! Please! He thought desperately. Trapped again, after so long, he had barely even been free.

"Please! " he cried out as he banged on the wooden door with his fist," Please! Open the door!" He sounded so lost, like a child, he was still a child inside. His throat hurt so bad from the strain of talking. He wasn't used to speaking so much. He needed to get used to hearing his own voice. Then the knob twisted and he stumbled back as it was pushed towards him. Bright grey eyes stared up at him with concern and confusion. Elijah couldn't help it as the word left his lips again as his glassy eyes stared at the stranger, "Please."

"Oh, god." The boy said, his brows furrowed,"What's wrong?" He stepped closer and Elijah took a step back,"Hey, what is it? I won't hurt you, I swear. My name is Toby. " he tried for a small reassuring smile as he lifted his hand to shake Elijah's dirty one. Elijah stared at the hand as though it were foreign, alien to him.

Large footsteps pounded the floor boards as Toby slowly lowered his hand awkwardly. Elijah gasped at the bright hazel eyes which stared at him from behind Toby. The large man pushed Toby aside and stood right infront of Elijah, concern etched onto his handsome face. The 6'8 tall wall of muscle inched forward and a hand touched his bare arm making him gasp. Elijah blinked as he stared open mouthed, the tingles ran up his own arm, his neck and his face. It was like no other feeling in the world. He wondered if everyone felt it when they touched someone. He shook his head from the intensity of it and stared at the hand.

"What happened? Are you hurt? " his deep husky voice was low and careful which had Elijah shivering with delight. He felt a flutter in his chest as he raised his eyes and began  to study the man's face. He wondered why it wasn't fear that he felt,which would make more sense to him considering it was all he really understood.

Also he realised how he had never seen a face so handsome before. A strong jaw and pink thin lips pulled down in a frown. Thick eyebrows above hazel coloured eyes. Elijah had to admit that he was a sight to see, nothing like the men who had guarded him which had always been gross and fat or too thin, sick looking even. It was amazing he hadn't died from a disease. He was also touching him, he seemed to be searching. Something about him put him at ease, even after witnessing him shift. He was a comforting presence, his name came to his mind.

"Don.. Don-o-van... " he said thoughtfully. It was difficult for him to speak as it is and being that he wasn't familiar with the name, pronouncing it was difficult but he was a fast learner. He just had to say it another time, or hear it again. Donovan looks up at him," Donovan?" he says again, better than the first time. He smiled and Elijah felt proud for getting it right the second time although with a slight slur.

"Yeah, Donovan, that's me."

"Me, " Elijah looked to Toby who watched with parted lips, eyes flashing hurt briefly before he avoided their gaze then he bolted." To-by," Donovan looks back but he was already gone." Toby. "

"Yeah, that was Toby." he bit his lip, "What's your name?" Elijah blinked at him, my...name. He thought.

"Elijah, " He smiled revealing his dirty teeth. Donovan's eye brows rose.

"Elijah," Donovan repeated, Elijah shivered again, the way it rolled off of his tongue, something about it, "I like it," he smiled, his cheeks redden.

"Me too, " Donovan furrowed his brows before nodding and looking down at him.

"I don't want to be rude but, you need a bath," he said gently. Elijah looked down with a frown then back at the bed. His bottom lip was tucked under his teeth. It had been so long since he'd taken a bath, he could hardly remember what it felt like to be clean, but he desperately wanted a bath,he desperately wanted to be clean.

"I..." he pointed to himself, "Sorry," then to the bed, "I...bath." Donovan looked to the bed with furrowed his brows.

"No need to apologise, " he smiled." Now, lets clean you up, then we can go eat, " Elijah repeated the word in his head, eat, he wondered if it was just the same as the food he had been given back at his cell." Then you can tell me where you came from. " Elijah blinked, trying to make sense of his request. He didn't say anything, simply let Donovan lead him to the bathroom. The shiny and clean bathroom which he felt was a bit to big for one person. He looked to Donovan with wide eyes. He walked in front of him and Elijah stared at Donovan's muscular back and the hand which was holding onto his own. He wondered why it tingled, it didn't seem to want to stop. Though he wasn't complaining, he enjoyed it to a point where he hoped he would never let go.

For the first time in his life he was content, not too worried. If this were a dream he only hoped he wouldn't have to wake up for a long time.