CHAPTER 17√

Elijah

He buried himself in their bed sheets, hoping to hide away from the world around him. Donovan was silent,sitting at the edge of the bed. Elijah was mentally and emotionally exhausted. He couldn't seem to understand anything. Everything did not make sense to him. Nothing at all. Why am I even here? He thought. The tears in his eyes fell down his cheeks as he buried his face into the soft fluffy pillow. He thought about Synthia and her constant mistake, at least it was a mistake in her brothers eyes. He bolted up and sighed then and looked at his mate who seemed to be thinking about ways to escape.

"From the beginning, please." Donovan sighed upon his words.

"I don't want you to worry," Elijah only raised his brow at him to show that he could not get out of telling him. "A few days before we found you... Ricardo stumbled into our land demanding to be executed." Donovan moved up to the bedframe and leaned against it. Elijah turned and sat facing him but not touching him. "We found it odd he would deliberately come onto our lands so he could die. Upon further investigation he revealed some plot by some woman he couldn't name. He said the woman was powerful beyond belief and that she wanted the world,but something was in her way."

Elijah tilted his head out of curiosity.

"He claims the woman was kidnapping young orphaned wolves and runaway wolves and training them to go to war with a pack whose Alpha would be the one to stand in her way for ultimate power, and all that exaggerated nonsense." Elijah bit his lip wondering who this woman was and who the alpha she was so afraid of could be. "He says we are all doomed and that's about it."

"So,this Alpha,he didn't mention which one? I mean,there are a few in this area after all."

"No, he said the woman never told them and they never really bothered to ask because of how much they fear her." Elijah licked his teeth. "We believe though that those guys who tried to attack you,that maybe they work for her but we aren't sure and we can't just assume that we are the targets." Elijah squinted his eyes at his mate and raised a brow.

A feeling of guilt settled into Elijah's chest then.

"Why is the brother locked up?"

"We found him spying on the pack." Donovan growled. "He claims to just want his brother but we can't risk him reporting to his master and being under attack for no good reason."

"Why would we be under attack if we aren't who she's looking for?" Elijah asked him and he sighed.

"We have to assume the worst in this case because nobody seems to know who she is looking for. We don't need to be investigated by her and potentially put our pack in danger. "

Somehow he felt as though there was more to the story,a part that Donovan didn't want him to know. He decided not to dwell,he hoped he was wrong and assured himself that his mate knew what he was doing and so, Elijah nodded then in understanding then even though he somehow also felt like it was all his fault. He couldn't shake off the thought that maybe she was looking for him. He bit his lip then and wondered to himself why he felt like he was to blame. He thought maybe because he still didn't know his own captors,he didn't know the person who locked him up nor the reason and it had been one of the mysteries of his life that he hated to forget. A small fact that he subconsciously knew would come to bit him in the ass one day.

His eyes fixed on the dresser across the bed then,trying not to think of too many things in case his head exploded from his complicated yet beautiful life. His blue eyes shifted to silver and in a flash they were back to the startling blue.

"I need to go fill out some paper work." Donovan mentioned. "And call René, I'll see you later?" He kissed Elijah's forehead and the took his leave.

Elijah stood from the bed and approached the dressed. He took a hold of the picture frame and gazed at the family. The older man had startling green eyes and a strong jaw, he was beaming down at a little boy who looked up at him with admiration. The woman had a small smile, her bright blonde hair was in a pony tail, her hazel eyes not as bright. Elijah furrowed his brows. There was a gorgeous girl beside them as well, she stared off to the side, she was older and her hair was blonde, like the mother and a smaller girl was standing in front of the mother. Her brows were furrowed and unfocused. Elijah recognised Carrin and Donovan. He only guessed that the two adults were their parents and the other girl must have been the older sister. Elijah stared transfixed.