Chapter 7 - Shattered

Isabella's POV

"Catherine left a few hours ago but I could still smell her perfume, I sighted. My heart started beating like crazy the moment I saw her, I was nervous when the doorbell rang but when I opened the door it was like everything was in place. When she left it felt empty. I enjoyed the evening.

....

On Friday I had dinner with my parents, actually they summoned me, and it was not what I expected it to be.

"Isabella you played around with these girls long enough and we allowed because we thought it was just a phase but now it's time for you to take things seriously" my father said. "Your mother set this dinner with this young man, he manages his family business alongside his father who is a very close friend of mine and you're going, you're not running away again!"

"Yes dear, you'll love him, he's very handsome and hopefully soon we'll be planning a wedding!" My mother said

"What?!" I said "You can't be serious"

"You're not a little girl anymore, you need to start taking responsibilities"

"You can't do this to me"

"We can't let you stain our family name!"

I couldn't hear any of this anymore, I left them talking and ran to my car, I needed to get out of there, I could feel tears threatening to fall and a knot in my throat.

The drive back home seemed endless, when I finally arrived I turned off my phone, I didn't want to talk to anyone, I was the suffers alone type, I had a hard time asking for help so I just shut myself out of the world. This time I was really hurt, I felt my heart shattering by the terrible things my parents said, my own family. I sat down in the cold floor of my bathroom, tears falling down and a huge ache in my chest. I didn't know what time It was, I got up and looked at myself in the mirror, I was a mess, I turned music on, lit up a scented candle, my favorite apple and cinnamon, and decided to take a bath. I was relieved today was Friday and I didn't have to go to work tomorrow. I picked a bottle of wine and a movie to watch. I must have fell asleep because I woke up with the telephone ringing, I had a massive headache, I picked up, it was my friend Andy, she was like a big sister, she wanted to know why my phone was off, she's been trying to talk to me since yesterday, I told her what happened and she said she'd take me to have brunch. I looked at the clock, it was almost 11 am. I turned my phone on and checked the messages

I was so happy I'd see my brother, I missed him, the last time I saw him was when he helped me move to my apartment in January, he's living in Australia

And there was a message from Catherine, my heart jumped, I quickly answered her.

....

I'm having brunch with Andy, we also ordered mimosas cause why not?

"That was horrible, I can't believe they did that" she said

"I was not surprised, they're not exactly parents of the year but that broke me", "and I was so happy the night before I had dinner with Ca..." oh damn.

"With who?" "Wait you had a date and you didn't told me?" She exclaimed

"It was not a date"

"Well you sounded happy, so who's it?" She asked. Before I could say anything she opened her mouth, her eyes almost popping out

"OMG it's Catherine isn't it?" "We met her on your birthday!"

I bit my lip

"You're dating Catherine Zeta-Jones!" She said excited

"Shhh, keep your voice low" I didn't want anyone to start gossiping

"We're not dating we're just friends"

"But you like her, I can see that"

"I do, but it's impossible..." my phone ringed, it was a message from Catherine, I smiled

" my phone ringed, it was a message from Catherine, I smiled

"I bet you are talking with her" she said smiling. I rolled my eyes then smiled showing her the message.

"So what will you do now? With your parents"

"I'm quitting working with my father and I don't know if I try to speak with them or just leave it"

"And what about Catherine?"

"It's complicated, she's a famous actress who just got divorced from her husband, and who sees me as a friend. And I like having her as a friend I don't want to mess this up."

"I get it. But who knows. I'm rooting for you two!" I laughed, just Andy could brighten things up when everything is falling apart.

....

Sunday I met with Will, he noticed I was strange and made me spill out everything, about what our parents did which made him furious with them, about Catherine and now he's teasing me for falling in love with a famous actress. He's my best friend, he supports me since I was a kid, we can count on each other. He took me to the park, it's our favorite place since we were kids.

....

I got home in the afternoon, the weekend was good, I spent it with the people I love. I still haven't talked to my parents, I know this is something I have to do but while I gather courage I decided to look for a job, a real one that I got with my own efforts. I sent my curriculum to all the veterinary clinics in NYC. And I couldn't wait to see Catherine again.

Wednesday

Catherine texted me, she was in an event and would meet me at the restaurant. I arrived there first and ordered a drink, my mother was texting me, she and my father were furious. When I put my phone down I saw Catherine coming, always so beautiful and elegant.

"Hello darling, I'm sorry did you waited much?" She said hugging me

"Hi Cath, no I just got here" I said and we sat down

"I already ordered a drink for me, do you want something before ordering lunch?"

"No I think I'm going to order now, I'm starving, these events barely have food, specially morning events" she said laughing.

My drink arrived and we ordered our food.

In mid lunch my father called me, I didn't answered but Catherine noticed my discomfort. She asked me what was wrong and I ended up telling her about our fight, I think it was the drink or Catherine hypnotic eyes and kind smile, I don't know but when I finished she was holding my hand over the table, that felt good.

Then she started looking worried and distant so I asked her if she was okay, she said she was fine, I nodded and we got back to eat.

When we finished we left the restaurant and were walking when suddenly she took my hand in hers and led me to an ice cream shop.

"Ice cream melts down any worries" Catherine said like it was a fact.

We ate walking by the East River, I turned to her just when she licked a drop of ice cream that ran down her lips, my legs went weak at that moment.