Chapter 28: Keefe

I woke up to a blinding light, and groaned.

I squinted trying to figure out where I was, and what was going on. I had blurry vision, and saw only colored blobs. Then I saw a blob with blond hair.

"Foster?" I whispered.

Suddenly a cold sweet liquid was poured into my mouth. I swallowed it, my vision going back to normal.

The blond I saw was Dex and Elwin was running around getting potions. Dex had a tear roll down his face.

"What's wrong?" I croaked. "And why does my head hurt?"

"You have a concussion." He replied, and I knew something was wrong.

I pushed myself upright, and gasped. Through the black spots that formed in my eyes, I saw all of the cots in the healing center were occupied by wounded members of the black swan.

All my friends were huddled into the bed next to me. But Foster wasn't there.

"Where's Foster?" I asked Dex.

My friends all noticed me being awake, and rushed over and each gave me a hug.

Suddenly I remembered everything. My moms death, but after that everything went dark.

I shook, and held back my tears.

Once again I asked "Where is Foster?"

All my friends looked down at their shoes with tears in their eyes. Biana and Linh sobbed against each other, as Fitz looked tried not to make eye contact with me.

Why won't they tell me?!

"Please you guys tell me," I pleaded "Where is Sophie?"

Bangs boy finally stepped forward "She is gone Keefe."

I was shocked at how gentle his tone was. "What do you mean she is gone?"

My voice trembled, as the tears were about to break through.

"Her and Fintan... they fell off the cliff." His voice shook.

The tears I had finally broke through. My life was collapsing, everything just is awful now. First my mom dies, then my true love. My soulmate. The only person that had ever understood me is... gone.

I put my head between my knees and sobbed until I had no more tears left. I felt a soft breeze in my head, like how I did with Foster. Instantly my mood lightened slightly.

If the Neverseen wanted our minds to break, and wanted us to lose. The only lose we had was Foster. But that isn't the point. The point is that we were stronger than they thought, and that they... they got what they deserved and all victories come with a lose.