Philosopher's Stone / Chapter 1 - A 'light' adjustment

Current year, Spring Break

It became an everyday thing for you.

These days, you couldn't help but be bored out of your mind. It all started when you completely forgot about Spring Break. One monday, you showed up at your workplace only to find absolutely nothing. The lights were out and there were no signs of anyone inside.

Empty.

Standing awkwardly in front of the main entrance, you took out your phone and looked at the date, realising that Spring Break started. All you could do was spin your heel and walk away embarrassed, wondering how this whole scene would look like on security footage.

However, this was different. Usually, one plans what they could do for such breaks. You, on the other hand, had nothing. Your caretakers were both on different vacations, so you would not be able to see them. Feeling nostalgic, it became a routine for you to watch one Harry Potter movie a day. Seven movies for seven days, how perfect is that?

It was already Sunday and you were done with the last movie. You were disappointed for not doing anything big this break since most of your friends seemed to have either gone on vacation or done fun activities. As you watched the credits of the last movie roll down the screen, sprawled on a couch, you felt drowsy. Too dejected to do anything else, you closed your eyes and began slipping into unconsciousness, unknowingly falling in a rabbit hole.

******************

You expected to feel dirty or oily upon waking up as you slept on a couch, but none of that checked out. In fact, you woke up tucked in a white, silky bed. Your heart leapt at the realisation and you jumped up, unfamiliar. Taking in your surroundings, you notice that you are in a small room filled with decorations such as clocks, candles, plushies, and bookshelves. There were drawings stuck on a large brown board in which the bright colours went over the lines, scribbled in a messy way. The walls were painted forest green and the ceiling was of an off-white shade and decorated with old-fashioned millwork.

You stared for a long time. The bed you woke up in was facing a window covered with a grey curtain. Getting on your feet, you walked slowly towards the window so as to not make any sound and let your hands pull the curtain aside, revealing a familiar suburban area.

By now, you were shaking and your pounding heart made it hard to breathe properly. You took steps back and leaned against your bed frame, trying to regain composure. You looked around once more.

Clocks... You saw clocks.

You remember reading somewhere that clocks do not appear in dreams, which made you think of one possibility: you were kidnapped. However, this theory soon began making no sense as you looked down. You were met with an unfamiliar body. A kid's body. It was truly horrifying. Where were you? What were you?

You looked back at the window and that's when you realised that you are in the Harry Potter universe, and this was Privet Drive...

Worried but excited,

Scared but joyful,

Uneasy but curious.

Your mind swirled with questions as your heart flooded with emotions. You decided it would be best to get out of this room. You knew you would have to go downstairs one day or another, so you wasted no time. Heart pounding, you got out of that place and spotted stairs stuck to the wall, leading straight downstairs, in front of a living room. You got down the stairs carefully and you heard your ears meet the sound of silverware clanking together. The sound was so faint, yet the tips of your ears tingle. You looked to your left to find a middle-aged couple sitting together, having tea. The woman had long, straight black hair, a rather roman nose and a skinny, tan figure whilst the man had curly brown hair that started greying and a tall, bulkier appearance.

The woman caught your eye and you froze.

"Oh Good morning!" she said cheerfully, with a small british accent. She noticed your startled appearance and came over to you, "Honey are you okay? Had a bad sleep?" She asked in a very gentle tone. You forgot you were technically a child. You could only assume on the spot that, although the couple didn't quite look like you, they were your parents in this strange place. The man spoke with an accent similar to yours.

"Yeah... sorry about last night, I might have made too much noise with the dishes," he said bashfully.

"No, I'm just fine," you said. They seemed to find your accent fine, which relieved you.

"Uh-" you looked up at your 'mother', "Darling..." she looked at your 'father' and back at you, then leaned in, "If you're having any troubles, tell me. You don't look alright," she said timidly. You looked at the innocent spark in her eyes, and after what felt like an eternity, you smiled.

"Sorry, I just didn't sleep well," you said, as convincing as you tried to be. They both looked at you, slightly perplexed. "I'll– I'll go get dressed," you told them, not quite sure what to do. Your palms were clammy and your legs felt heavy.

"Alright darling," the woman smiled. "but if you need to stay in bed, we understand. As long as you come eat." You nodded, your heart feeling a touch of warmth from her kind words. You turned around, pretending to still be drowsy, and climbed up the stairs. It felt weird being a child again, but it was a nostalgia you enjoyed through the circumstances. Even the feeling of running up the stairs was something you missed, free from responsibilities.

For the time being, it was not that bad. You went to the bathroom and looked at the three toothbrushes in a cup. You easily spotted yours as it had Hello Kitty designs on it.

Your home in this universe was almost funny.

You got dressed in the simplest clothes you could find: overalls with a red shirt, and came downstairs to eat. Your "parents" were surprisingly easy to talk to, sharing common interests and knowledge. They talked a lot, actually.

After eating and talking with them, you ran outside to look at your address.

6 Privet Drive. This meant you should logically live near-

BANG!

Your heart practically flew out of your chest as you jumped and looked around. You saw a man with a stocky build shut all the doors of the car parked in the neighbour's driveway. "COME HERE, BOY!" You heard a scruff voice yell. He pulled out of the car a boy your age with black hair and famous round glasses by the ear. You gasped and the boy looked over at you, eyes wide open and eyebrows raised to his hairline. He was gone as fast as he arrived as he was pushed inside the house and the man slammed the door shut.

So this is the beginning...