Chapter 14 - Gryffindor wins!

10/11/1991

You woke up long before Hannah and Susan. Excitement bubbled inside of you. It was nearly 7:00 and only a few students, mainly Slytherin and Gryffindor quidditch players and their friends, were already seated and scarfing down their food in the Great Hall. Your ears perked up at a specific voice.

"Take a bit of toast, mate. Go on," you heard Ron say. You caught his eye and, as Hermione spoke to Harry, he waved you over with his usually goofy smile. Harry, on the other hand, played with his food and looked down in nervosity.

"Ron's right, Harry," the bushy-haired girl added. "You're gonna need your strength today."

You approached the table, but quickly noticed Professor Snape doing the same. He waltzed towards the unsuspecting trio. His eyes caught yours in the process and, even if it was just for a moment, you noticed a glimpse of hesitance in him. You frowned and sat next to the redhead, and the man looked down at the scarred boy.

"Good luck today, Potter..." he spoke in an almost warning tone, making the trio's heads whip towards him. He looked down at you all in silence and finally took his leave. The four of you stared at his back and it was only then that you could notice the subtle, but perceptible limping in his right leg.

"He's limping..." you said, your voice barely above a whisper. This elicited a reaction in Harry. As you sat down next to Ron, he leaned towards the three of you in secrecy.

"Listen..." he started, drawing your attention. "Last night, I'm guessing that Snape let a troll in as a diversion so he could try and get past that three-headed dog, but he got himself bitten. That's why he's limping–" Hermione's brows furrowed and she quickly interjected.

"But why would anyone get near that dog?" she asked. As the redhead continued scarfing down his food next to you, Harry turned to Hermione.

"The day I was at Gringotts, Hagrid took something out of one of the vaults. Said it was Hogwarts business–" he looked at you, "–very secret..."

"So you're saying–" Hermione mumbled. Harry cut her off.

"That's what the dog's guarding," he exclaimed, lightly slamming his hand on the table. "That's what Snape wants." There was a short silence between the four of you to digest everything that was said. You spoke up.

"I know you might have your opinions on Snape, but I don't believe he would do such a thing," you tried convincing them.

"How would you know?" Ron questioned in a mocking tone. You huffed and grabbed some food on your plate as Harry stared at you, puzzled. The silence was broken by the screeches of a white owl. You recognized it immediately; it was the scarred boy's. It carried a huge object wrapped in brown paper. The animal flew over your heads and dropped the gift on the table in front of you. Harry was quick to catch it before it landed on the table. You have never understood why owls did that; it was hazardous. You already knew what hid under all that paper, but you had to feign ignorance. On the other hand, everyone at the table eyed the object in curiosity.

"Bit early for mail, isn't it?" Hermione asks herself. Harry's eyebrows scrunch in confusion.

"But I never get mail..." the boy murmurs. You, on the other hand, empathised with Harry. You and your parents have yet to have exchanged letters. You gave yourself a mental note to do it tonight. After all, it has been nearly four months since you last spoke to them. Ron's eyes widened in anticipation.

"Let's open it!"

Simultaneously, you and the trio were quick to rip the paper apart. Finally, a broomstick revealed itself under your hands. It was mostly brown with golden rims. Your eyes travelled to the top of the handle where it was written the name of the model in fine gold police.