Chapter 19 - Am I good or am I good?

22/05/1992

The potions classroom reeked of a new odour and it stinged your nostrils in the best way possible. You could only describe it as the air you could smell on a cool summer's day. It lightened up the atmosphere in the dark, uncomfortable classroom.

As you walked in, Snape took a double look at you and let out a small groan of displeasure.

You did not understand: you have been acing his class. He should have been grateful that you paid attention along with Hermione and Draco, because no one else did. You sat down, waiting for the class to start. People were already seated.

You spotted Harry and Ron in a heated discussion and Hermione next to them, her nose stuck in her book.

"How many Beaters have you seen win a match by catching one Snitch?" Harry argued.

"Seeker is a good position, but Beaters have more responsibility!" Ron clapped back.

"Are you saying I have no responsibilities?"

"No! Every player does, I just think Beater is the best position!"

"A match could be won without Beaters."

"And one could also be won without Seekers–"

"Good afternoon to you too," you said, sitting next to the pair. Ron called out to you.

"Which is better: Beater or Seeker?" You contemplated before answering.

"Everyone knows it's Keeper."

"What?" the black-haired boy uttered. As he said this, the professor walked up behind the four of you.

"Ew," the other said, putting on a disgusted face.

Suddenly, Snape slammed his scroll on your desk, capturing your attention.

"I will not allow endless bickering in my class," he groaned, shooting everyone a dirty look. The man walked back to his desk and addressed the entire group. "We will commence early today. Page one hundred and seventy three, the Exstimulo Potion takes two hours to brew, therefore you will be accompanied by another classmate–"

Nott, who sat in front of you, looked at you over his shoulder. You saw him from the corner of your eye and smiled.

"–You may go to your stations. I also consider it a necessity to remind some of you that this work is evaluated and part of your final exam. Bungle, and you will see yourself with work over the summer."

The loud sound of stools clanking and rustling invaded the room. Chatter rose and Nott hurried to occupy a station, already gathering ingredients. You put on the necessary equipment to handle the potion, joining the boy.

"Need me to take the reins on that one?" he said.

"Never," you teased.

Soon enough, the two of you began working. Your friend prepared the dry ingredients as you got started on the liquid. You had a textbook wide open in between the two of you, diligently following the steps. You remembered seeing this potion in a book you read over Christmas break, but this one was slightly off. It told you to use Begonia roots, but you knew for a fact that you had to use Bitter root.

You looked at Nott, who had not touched his flower yet. Then, you glanced at the ingredient containers.

You hesitated. Would it be better to follow the recipe or do the right thing? Would Snape be mad? You sighed before making up your mind, grabbing your friend's ingredient before heading towards the cabinets, retrieving the plant you wanted. Nott saw you come back with the plant in your hands, his face twisted in confusion.