Chapter 17 - Merry Christmas, Harry

24/12/1991

Snow fell in abundance under the white sky. Frost formed over the Great Hall windows and it was colder than ever in the castle. You sat next to the burning chimney along with Ron and Harry, who have been playing chess for a few minutes in an endless game. Professor Flitwick could be seen decorating a huge Christmas tree in front of the place while singing a small song to himself.

Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas,
Ring the Hogwart bell.
Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas,
Cast a Christmas spell–

You did not mind his humming. In fact, it was nice. As you watched over the game, supporting your head with your hand and occasionally whispering advice to Harry much to Ron's dismay, you felt at peace. The Hallways were bustling with students and ghosts, all carrying luggage and ready to board the Hogwarts Express home. Christmas was wonderful in Hogwarts. Although most students could not care less about the religious meaning of this holiday, people were cheerful to be able to return to their families for the break. You had contacted your parents and, surprisingly, they had preferred for you to stay in school.

"A little studying over the break would not hurt," they wrote.

You found it weird, but you let it go, knowing you would rather stay deep down.

You remember how Christmas felt when you were younger. People were always excited beyond their minds for their presents. The nostalgia crawled its way back into your heart.

You felt it again. All of it has become part of your reality.

The simple cheer, the hope, the joy.

The so-called "Christmas spirit".

It was a beautiful feeling that bloomed in your chest and took over your senses. Despite the cold weather, you felt warm. You noticed that Harry was dressed in a light green wool sweater, which matched the familiar chrome green scarf you made him. It was a small gift to your eyes, but seeing him wear it with such pride melted your heart.

You noticed Hermione walk along the aisles of long, wooden tables towards the three of you, clutching her rolling luggage. Harry and Ron, however, looked too concentrated on their game to take in their surroundings.

"...Knight to E5," the boy with glasses finally commanded.

The white piece of the chess board moved by itself to the said position. There was a long moment of concentrated silence, which was rare coming from the ginger, until he broke into a grin, crossing his arms.

"Queen to E5," he retorted.

The red queen, a piece depicting a woman sitting on a throne, moved forward to the designated square. With the Knight already there, it stopped by E6 to get off its throne, grab it and swing it across the white piece, shattering it and taking its place, sitting back down. Hermione, who had just arrived, frowned at the game before her.

"That's totally barbaric!" she accused.

"That's Wizard's chess," Ron replied. He looked at her belongings. "I see you've packed."

"I see you haven't."

"Change of plans. My parents decided to go to Romania to visit my brother, Charlie. He's studying dragons there." Hermione was not impressed. She called on to you.

"I assume it's the same for you?"

"Yeah, my parents thought it would be better for me to stay," you explained.

"Why?" she asked. You shrugged in response.

"Well, then you two can help Harry, then. He's going to go to the library for information on Nicolas Flamel–"