Chamber of Secrets / Chapter 1 - Missing Them

22/07/1992

Laying on your bed, your nose was stuck in Ancient Potions by Miranda Cuni as Harry sat at your desk, focused on drawing a horrendous picture of Dudley and his family to pass time. Your parents have been practically forcing you to begin your studies for next year, but you and the boy still did everything you could to spend time together. You were not even aware of which manuals you would need. All you knew was that you were going to be drowned in Gilderoy Lockhart's works. In the meantime, you learned everything that you had to know about Snape's subject. You noticed how a lot of potions in the school's textbook were featured in the book the man personally picked out for you, but its recipes were far more precise, advanced. You compared the potions and made separate notes, which you stuck in between the pages of Draughts and their Uses for future reference.

You suddenly heard something pang against your window.

You and Harry's heads whipped towards the sound only to see an old, white owl try to force its way in. Recognizing it as Errol's Ron's owl, you opened your window, letting a soft wind enter your room as well as the creature. There was a letter attached to its leg with a small, red ribbon. You offered it a treat before unwrapping the paper, revealing a neat handwriting. Hermione's. She often borrowed his owl because she did not have one for herself. "What is it?" Harry asked, approaching to see the letter. You sat on the bed and he followed you.

"It's Hermione," you said, which got his attention. You began reading the letter aloud:

Hey!

Hope you have been doing well. Ron and I have been having trouble getting in contact with Harry. We have sent countless owls and he has not responded to any of them. I know you and him are neighbours, so could you please ask him why he is not answering?

Your friend,

Hermione Granger

PS: Can you tell me what is next year's required book for Potions?

Harry frowned at this. "Letters? I haven't received any letters."

"Huh, that's weird," you replied, "Don't you still have your owl?"

"I do, and I sent letters. How come they haven't received anything?" You shrugged in response, taking out a pen and a paper of your own as Errol flew away. Your friend watched over your shoulder as you wrote:

Hey Hermione!

Harry was right next to me when I got your owl. He said he hasn't gotten any letters. We don't know why that is, so in the meantime, can you send me your phone number? I'll pass it to him, it will be easier that way.

Also, the book you're searching for is "Draughts and their Uses" by Albert Franklin

You signed your letter off with your name, attaching it to your owl's leg with the same red ribbon and letting it soar. Its wings flapped, sending blades of wind to your face. The air outside and the brightness of the colours reminded you of your own youth. The one you had before coming here. It was fresh, nostalgic. You wanted to see the people you once knew again. This desire made your heart ache in the worst way possible. "I miss them," the boy admitted, leaning on the windowsill as you were. You looked at your feathered animal becoming a mere dot in the sky as it flew further away.

"Me too, Harry," you said.

******************

31/08/1992

You understood that Harry was having guests over that night. He had called you, his breath wavering. "Hey—! Er, I was just calling to— huff— tell you to not call me tonight please. Or ring my doorbell. Or acknowledge that I exist, please. Can you do that?" There was a sheer panic in his voice as he seemed to be hurrying on the other line. Your face scrunched in a mix of confusion and concern.