Chapter 3 - The letter and Diagon Alley

22/07/1991

With the way your parents were treating you, you thought your summer would be all playing and resting.

You were working in the kitchen again. There was plenty of homework resting on your desk, but you could not even bring yourself to take a look at the pile. It seemed overwhelming to complete it all, especially during summer, so you made the perfect bad decision to simply not touch it. Even though you were homeschooled, work was just as serious. Surprisingly, you only found the motivation to do the one thing you now knew how to do very well: cooking.

You, surprisingly, grew affectionate of your parents and, being "young" and having no way to pay them back, you resorted to cooking as a way to show gratitude. Some days, you would even take the time to bake something for your uncanny neighbours, who accepted your pastries with great delight. Today, to let you have fun, the Thompson couple let you make dinner. It was not an extraordinary gift, but it was to you.

As you were finishing their favourite meal whilst your parents were sitting in the salon, a noise was heard from the entrance door.

Knock knock

A perplexed look made its way on all of your faces. It was already dark outside and nobody had planned any visit. 'I'll get it!' You yelled while marching towards the entry. You opened the door, not quite sure what to expect, revealing a woman standing on a black and yellow carpet with a cursive Welcome on it in front of you.

However, it was not just a woman. It was the woman. A woman you never expected to see until now, even though you hope to.

"Greetings," she croaked, followed formally by your Enache. Her voice was raspy, but clear. A long green cloak draped over a figure, hiding a long black button-up dress underneath, and a tall, pointy hat made her look taller. Her long, slender fingers held an envelope. She stretched her hand elegantly, "Let me introduce myself; My name is Minerva Mcgonagall, otherwise known as Professor Mcgonagall, Deputy Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry."

Pause.

As she talked, your heart began hammering against your ribcage, threatening to burst out of its confinement. There was a slight silence where you just stared, until you shook your head and took the letter out of her hands with a shaking exhale. A look of confusion flashed over her eyes for a second from your stiffness.

"May I speak with your guardians?" she asked, gently holding her hands together and leaning slightly towards you.

You nodded. "Yes, ma'am," you finally said. She smiled at you as you moved your body to the side and let her enter. Her shoes created an echo in the entrance.

"Mom! Dad! ...Someone wants to see you!" you yelled.

In a flash, your parents were now standing in front of Mcgonagall, silently scrutinising her attire. They greeted each other and your parents sat her down for some tea.

Your parents sat with her at the dining table while you were leaning over the kitchen counter, on edge. The witch spoke up, "I am pleased to inform you that your child-" she gestured to you with an open hand, "-was accepted in our school."

Your parents' faces twisted in confusion and slight judgement. "We have not made any request to any school for our child," your mother finally answered.

Mcgonagall took care to introduce them to the whole ordeal. She went on about what Hogwarts is and the "International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy of 1689", which is apparently just a law that separated the Wizarding world from the Muggle world. In front of your unconvinced parents, she performed a simple spell by turning a candle in a teaspoon, startling you.