Chapter 15 - Fluffy?

10/11/1991

The day went on and you had finally found the trio in the courtyard. The sky had an orange, almost pink hue to it. They all wore their black robes along with a scarf matching their house's colours. You, Ron and Hermione wore your houses' robes along with your scarves. Harry, on the other hand, was wearing his robe with a familiar chrome green scarf.

It was the one you had made him.

They had explained everything that happened to you during the match about Snape jinxing Harry's broom, and although you knew that was a misunderstanding, you did not try to prove them otherwise. You told yourself that they would find out on their own. On the way, you found Hagrid.

"I swear, when I got close to Snape, he was murmuring an incantation! We saw it and I heard him!" Hermione confessed to the much taller man. Looking at him with your own eyes felt surreal; he was much taller than you expected. It was like walking next to a bear. Hagrid's deep voice resonated in your ears.

"Nonsense! Why would Snape put a curse on Harry's broom?"

"Who knows?" started Harry. "Why was he trying to get past that three-headed dog on Halloween?" Hagrid's head abruptly turned towards Harry in a sceptical expression.

"Who told you about Fluffy?" he asked. Ron's face contorted into one of confusion and judgement.

"Fluffy?"

"That thing has a name?" Hermione asked.

"Of course he's got a name, he's mine!" Hagrid revealed. "I bought him off an Irish feller I met down the pub last year–" As he spoke, you and Harry shared a look that screamed "Is he crazy?". "–Then I lent him to Dumbledore to guard the–"

"–Yes?" Harry interjected, too impatient to hear the rest. Hagrid looked at the four of you.

"Shouldn't have said that," he murmured. "No more questions!" he pointed to us. "Don't ask any more questions. That's top-secret, that is!"

"But Hagrid, whatever Fluffy's guarding, Snape's trying to steal it," the black-haired boy said, begging to know more. You felt Hermione and Ron both lean in, letting their curiosity take over them.

"Codswallop!" the gruff man exclaimed. He stopped walking and turned towards the four of you, leaning down to talk better. You followed his actions. "Professor Snape is a Hogwarts teacher." Hermione replied.

"Hogwarts teacher or not, I know a spell when I see one. I've read all about them. You've got to keep eye contact and Snape wasn't blinking," she said, punctuating her words near the end.

"Exactly," Harry approved. Hagrid paused for a moment of silence and made eye contact with all of you before leaning down more and murmuring.

"Now, listen to me, all four of you," he pointed towards each of you. "You're meddling in things that ought not to be meddled in. It's dangerous. What that dog is guarding is strictly between Professor Dumbledore and Nicolas Flamel."

"Nicolas Flamel?" Harry questioned. Hagrid's expression melted into one of realisation.

"I shouldn't have said that. I should not have said that," he repeated, turning back to march towards his hut. The four of you stayed at your place.

"Nicolas Flamel... Who's Nicolas Flamel?" the boy asked himself.

"I don't know," Hermione said. You looked at her, then Harry.

"I do," you said, causing them to whip their heads in your direction. Their eyebrows were all furrowed in confusion. "Nicolas Flamel... He's mentioned in the back of Dumbledore's chocolate frog card, is he not?" One shared glance between all four of you and you were all running to the Gryffindor common room, where Ron kept some of his collection cards. The halls were cold and silent, but nearing the Gryffindor dorms, you heard festive noises coming from it.