Chapter 10 - It Was a Bad Idea

03/08/1991

You wanted to slap yourself into oblivion. How stupid could you have gotten? The words got out of you before you could do anything, and you instantly regretted them. And what has this led to? Detention on a friday afternoon. It was only Tuesday for the moment, but you were already dreading the moment.

After your little encounter with Snape, you were able to finally go back to your dorm, where your friends were still awake. Hannah and Susan both bombarded you with questions and you told them the entire story, from A to Z. You, despite your nervousness to do so, also told them about how you left out you felt when you hung out with the trio. The two girls were quick to comfort you.

"It's their loss if they can't see how good you are," said Hannah while rubbing your back.

"Yeah, she's right. But what really matters is that you're safe!" tried cheering Susan.

And just like that, you were glad to have friends like them. You truly felt acknowledged when you were with the girls, and it made you feel like you belonged.

"Maybe being sorted into Hufflepuff was a good thing, after all," you thought.

Today was a new day, though. You woke up and, soon enough, you were sitting in the Great Hall. You and your roommates made a habit of coming in early to enjoy a silent breakfast, which was always a good way to start the day.

Before class, you all headed towards the library. Susan had become fond of doing her homework the morning of, making her spend her mornings rushing to get through her books and parchments. Her procrastination had become so big that she would sometimes do her homework right before the class, which usually led to poor writing or incomprehensible penmanship. Meanwhile, Hannah simply enjoyed spending her mornings playing wizard's chess.

You, on the other hand, were planning something. You knew it was childish, but you were an eleven year old now. You could let yourself commit a few childish actions. You went out of your way to grab any book about Hogwarts, their professors and biographies of any kind, making a list of the staff's birthday dates.

As weird as it seemed, you genuinely thought that it could lighten someone's day to wish them a happy birthday, or anything nice in general. You thought that was the case because that was how you felt. Eventually, you were able to write a list with Mcgonagall's, Dumbledore's, Hagrid's, and, as much as he despised you, Snape's birthdays.

You also remembered that, when Harry would find the mirror of Erised, Dumbledore would reveal how all he had truly desired was a pair of fluffy, warm socks. You made a mental note to give him some anonymously.

All of that aside, it was time for your classes.

The first half of the day was normal, as you had History of Magic and Herbology. For the first period, you sat near Harry and his three friends. You noticed that he kept stealing glances at you for the entire hour and it made you uncomfortably shift on your seat. He did the same as you stood in Herbology, except that Ron and Hermione had joined in. You felt seriously eyeballed and did your best to divert your attention from them to your Herbology partner: Neville.

Professor Sprout had announced a project that required everyone to pick a plant, grow it, and make a five parchment-long research on it. As everyone began making partners, you quickly rushed over to Neville, who looked as lost as a bee in the sea. You were lucky that every house attended the same classes, as you knew about his prowess in the subject. You, too, had grown knowledgeable because of your constant gardening with your father. Nonetheless, as flustered as he was to your request, he was very happy to have someone.

"Thank you for wanting to be my partner."

"I'll work hard."

"I can do it all, if you want..."