Chapter 16 - Us and Fuss

19/11/1991

Seven days.

Theodore Nott has been sending you dirty looks for seven days.

There you stood next to a beaming Neville in Herbology. The sun shone brightly on the glass of the greenhouse, making it incredibly hot for November. Students had to remove their robes and scarves for gardening coats as they entered the classroom. Professor Sprout, with all of her layers of beige and brown clothing and her heavy hat, seemed unbothered by the heat. Green filled the room and rays of sunshine enveloped the place in a warm embrace.

The deep blue-eyed boy stood on the opposite side of the classroom, facing you. His expression felt different today; as if his anger wavered. Professor Sprout began talking.

"Today, we are handling a very special plant," she said, pulling out a metal container. "Can anybody tell me what the Devil's snare is?"

You knew Neville knew the answer. He shot you a look that screamed his interest in this plant in particular and you smiled in response. Your heart always warmed up when he expressed his joy on the smallest things. You thought it was a trait that made him very likeable. Hermione, however, had no shame raising her hand.

"Yes, Miss Granger?"

"The Devil's Snare is a plant that has the ability to constrict or strangle anything that touches it," she said, projecting her high voice in a matter-of-fact tone.

"Correct! Five points to Gryffindor," the professor said. "Now, I want a volunteer to demonstrate how to neutralise it– Only if you know how, of course."

Everyone stole a subtle glance towards Hermione, who herself looked as if she remembered reading it, but forgot. It became a habit for students to expect Hermione to know everything, because for the most part, she always did. You, on the other hand, knew how to. You raised your hand and the teacher called on you, slightly surprised.

While she spoke, she came up to you with the metal box in her hands. "Now, of course, try to touch it very briefly for it to start moving. You may take your wand out now." You felt eyes piercing through you as you reached for your wand's protective case. It was borderline embarrassing how, every time you reached out for it, you had to open the case. You had acknowledged the fact that your wand was too sharp for it to be safe, but it still managed to make shame crawl its way through you. "When you're ready, dear," Sprout said.

You let out a quick huff. "Ready," you signalled. You felt Neville tense up next to you. The poor boy was afraid. Professor Sprout slid the bottom of the metal box off and lifted it, revealing small vines coming from a pot.

The vines stood still, as if waiting for you. The teacher stayed close in precaution, which made you less anxious. You rolled up your sleeve before reaching towards the plant. Your finger trembled slightly as you finally set a finger on it. It was rough, almost rocky.

You quickly pulled your arm back as the plant began stirring. It was small, therefore weak. The vines grew towards you ever so slightly, making you brandish your wand.

"Lumos," your voice rang across the greenhouse. The tip of your wand began shining a bright, white light right in front of the vines. This made a few people squint. The plant squirmed and slowly drew back. Hermione shut her eyes and frowned, as if she had just remembered how to defend herself against it. Professor Sprout, with a satisfied hum, placed the box back over the plant and slid the metal container close.

"This was just right," she confirmed with a hint of pride for her house. It was known that Hufflepuffs tended to excel in Herbology and Care of Magical Creatures. "The Devil's Snare is sensitive to light. When confronted against it, it is necessary to cast a light spell," she informed, her hands waving around as she explained. She was a very articulate woman. "Five points to Hufflepuff!"