Chapter 12 - Messages From the Stars

04/08/1991

You do not know how you got there. An hour ago, you were in the library, completing your Herbology assignment along with Neville, who kept blushing as you praised his knowledge. Eventually, as you both finished your research, thoughts swirled in your mind. The clock had struck 7 p.m., and the castle began to darken, only being illuminated by candles and torches. You departed from Longbottom, giving him a wave, and headed straight to the second-floor girl's lavatory. Curiosity got the best of you and you wondered if it was possible to get on Myrtle's good side.

You entered the lavatory, regret flooding through you and a gush of cold wind hitting you. The room looked deserted and littered with spider webs. You expected the room to be some sort of faint blue light like in the movies, but instead, the chamber was all grey, almost black. You closed the door behind you and headed towards the fountain until you heard her voice.

"This bathroom is closed! Go away!" she cried. Your heart jumped and you whipped your head towards the noise. There she was: Moaning Myrtle. She looked even skinnier and paler now that you saw her in person and she looked almost transparent.

"You're Myrtle Warren..." you almost whispered, your eyes widening ever so slightly. Her face blew into one of full surprise.

"Yes! It's not hard to call me by my name!" she admitted as she flew fast to match your height. "It's Myrtle, not Mooaaning Myrtle!" she cried, dragging out her words. She sighed exasperatedly as she flew up once again, now resting on top of a bathroom stall.

"Oh, well, my name's–"

"I'm not a tourist attraction!" she cried, offended. "SO SHOO!" she demanded before placing her hands in front of her face and crying into them. "I'm nothing but a joke, here!" Her sobs filled the entire room and, although it was slightly annoying, you wanted to comfort her.

"Oh, Myrtle, that's not it!" you said, getting closer to her. "I never meant it in a bad way, I'm sorry! I just wanted to get to know you..." you said the last part hesitantly. Her sobs came to a halt and she lowered her hands to look at you. A second passed before she broke out of her trance, furrowing her eyebrows and her features displaying fury.

"GO AWAY!" she screamed, making you jump and scramble out of the room, yelling a quick "sorry!" before closing the door behind you.

You stepped where you did not belong.

Your heart calmed down as you walked towards your dormitory. You were just getting your astronomy equipment before heading towards the library once again. You honestly had no clue as to why you had astronomy work whilst also having no astronomy classes.

By this point, the only people seen wandering the halls were first years and prefects. You got a glimpse of the Weasley twins running and giggling, but you diverted your attention from them. Arriving at the library, the room was almost pitch black. Desk stations had small lanterns, providing the faintest of lights for students, and it reeked the smell of used books. You were about to pick up an astrology book for some advanced reading until you heard loud murmurs.

"That's nonsense! Why don't we get Hermione to do it?" you heard a familiar voice whine.

You peeked in between the bookshelves to catch a glimpse at the voice, but the lack of light made it hard for you to see. However, you did notice one thing.

Two boys, one redhead and one with messy, black hair. You smiled to yourself, picking up a book before heading towards them.

"Why, you wanted this plant!" Harry exclaimed, pointing an accusing finger towards Ron, who gasped dramatically. This earned a loud shush from the librarian.