Chapter 5 - Welcome to Hogwarts!

31/07/1991

Harry's uncle has gone mad.

You knew what happened to him, it was simple: He got too many Hogwarts letters and his family hid in a hut in the middle of the sea. You did not fuss over it.

However, on the same night, the boy felt worse than ever. As he laid on the floor, drawing himself a birthday cake, he imagined you in front of his house, wondering why no one was answering the door, disappointed. He was afraid he would never see you again, his only friend. Worse than that, he imagined you thinking that he willingly left you without bidding farewell.

In response to the thoughts flooding inside of his head, Harry felt his eyes water. An alarm rang from his watch, indicating that it was finally his birthday. He knew most people would find it to be a special day, but to him, July 31st was the same as any other day–

BANG!

Harry jumped out of his position along with his family, who had been sleeping. The hut's door kept being pushed, banged and hit until it was finally knocked down, revealing... a large man?

******************

01/09/1991

The Hogwarts Express was about to depart in more than half an hour and yet, you were already in your compartment. You were peacefully reading 'The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 1' for the second time as you heard your car door slide open.

"Oh, sorry. Are those seats taken?" a high-pitched voice asked.

You turned to see a bushy-haired girl along with a small, chubby boy. Hermione Granger and Neville Longbottom behind her. Eyes widening slightly, you replied.

"No, not at all," you replied with a smile. They both murmured small "thanks" and got in the compartment. The girl sat in front of you while the timid boy sat next to her. "My name is Hermione, and that's Neville," she said, pointing towards him with a bob of her head, "What's your name?"

You told her your name. "Are you both first years?" you asked.

"Yes, we are," she replied, "I've also never known I was a witch until a few weeks ago. My parents had trouble digesting the information, but I'm here now." You could tell that she was happy to be there, judging from her smile and bright energy.

"I'm a Muggle-born too," you told her, smiling.

"Oh, we have that in common! You know, I've done light reading on the history of magic and I've found that Muggle-borns are often judged as 'not being worthy of doing magic'," she commented with a hint of disdain in her voice.

"Yeah, I read that too!" you exclaimed. You looked over at Neville, who was shifting uncomfortably in his seat. You felt bad and wanted to include him in the conversation. "What about you Neville?" you asked, "Did you grow up with magic?"

"Yes... I have. My parents were both wizards and so is my grandmum," he answered while looking at you, head tilted towards the ground and rubbing his feet together.

"Were?" Hermione asked.

Longbottom looked at her with a slight panicked look on his face. "I mean they're not... there anymore."

Hermione sucked in a small breath. "Oh, I'm so sorry," she then replied. She truly felt bad for him as she thought they had died. On the other hand, you knew how they both went mad and you could only sympathise with him. He missed his parents, and so did you. The Thompsons were great, although they were very pushy when it came to studying. They held a strange admiration for the Wizarding World ever since they found out about your abilities, which made you feel a weight on your shoulders to succeed. "Yeah... but your grandma uses magic, right? What's it like?" you asked him.