Chapter 21 - Write me an Owl

29/06/1992

It was the last day of your first year.

Normally, summer break had always been something you looked forward to. You used to yearn for the freedom that came with the end of the school year. Having months to yourself and not worrying about your grades was exactly what you needed. After all, you passed this year with flying colours, surprising yourself. Although you were not quite on Hermione's level in most subjects, you managed to gather information about everything and anything in this world.

However, there was a price to pay for this freedom. You had to return to a place you could not call "home". Home is a feeling of belonging. It is your culture and the people you are close to. Your house and your parents were not your home.

The events from the night before kept flashing through your mind. Waking up, you quickly reminded yourself to write a letter for Harry. You went to place it in his hands as he kept sleeping before going off to your first class. It read:

Dear Harry,

I hope you're doing well and that you're not too unsettled by last night's events. If you ever need someone to talk to, I am here. However, I have a request: Please, I beg, do not tell anyone about what Voldemort told me. Do not say I was here.
We all wish you a quick recovery.

You signed the letter off with your name.

The school air felt fresh on your skin and your clothes seemed lighter than usual. It was as if nothing could have gone wrong that day. Everyone wore grins on their joyful faces and the atmosphere was cheerful. Students also anticipated the feast that would be happening that same night. Since all of your exams already passed, you quickly realised that professors had nothing to teach. It struck you most during your second class of the day as you stood between Ron and Hermione.

"Today is the end of the beginning for all of you!" Sprout started, happy for her pupils. "You made this year a wonderful one. All of my classes have been a pleasure to teach—" she quickly glanced at Malfoy, "—At least, most of my classes." This earned a few scattered giggles around the greenhouse. The light pierced the windows magnificently. Although the dust in the chamber could be seen as a negative thing, it made it easy to see each and every ray of sunlight make its way in the class, illuminating even the darkest of places. "This said, I invite you all to spend today outside with your friends! Between me and you, who would want to spend a day like this inside? Out! Out!"

You glanced at your friends and you broke into a huge grin. Ron and Hermione's faces lit up and students began flooding out of the classroom. The buck-toothed girl faced you. "I'm going to thank the professor before going. You two can stay and I'll join you!" She rapidly ran off to the teacher. Ron scoffed.

"Always a model student, even when the year's over," he said. "I'll get going outside, I can't stand this classroom any longer!" You were about to follow him until you saw Neville stay back, unmoving and staring at one of the teacher's plants.

"I'll stay... I'll see you later," you told him. He scoffed.

"Suit yourself, I'm not wasting my time here," the redhead murmured sassily before going out. Through the glass doors, you could see him step out of the room and raise his arms with victorious, clenched fists, feeling the sun on his skin. "Freedom!" he yelled. He was ridiculous. Hermione was still deep in her conversation with Sprout.

You made your way towards the black-haired boy. From afar, he looked like he was examining a common Tansy. However, as you crept closer to his side, you noticed his distant stare. He was alone. Neville, despite your closeness, did not notice you. You hesitantly brought your hand up to tap his shoulder, to which he reacted with a quiet gasp. Eyes wide, his gaze landed on you before he relaxed. "Neville, are you okay?" He looked down.