Chapter 18 - Forbidden Forest

18/05/1992

Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling levitated in front of you as you took notes on the library desk. Hermione sat before you, a huge book in her hands. You recognised it: it was the book in which she would find the information about Nicolas Flamel. You could not really focus on what you studied. Finals were coming and, although Hogwarts was fun, you pressured yourself to get good grades. Your parents were strangely adamant about your report card.

Hermione suddenly gasped and tapped your arms repeatedly, repeating your name.

"What's wrong?" you asked her, eyebrows furrowed.

"I had Harry look in the wrong section!" she exclaimed. "Look–" she flipped the book over for you to see. You tossed your manual away. "–there. It says: Nicolas Flamel is the only known maker of the Sorcerer's Stone!" You played your role, pretending that you were not aware.

"Isn't it that stone that makes you immortal?"

"Yes, it makes an elixir that grants the drinker immortality," her eyes lit up once again and she leaned in to talk to you. You replicated her actions, looking around to see if anyone could eavesdrop. The library was practically empty. "I'm sure that's what Fluffy's guarding. It's probably under the trap door we saw," she whispered in determination.

"We should go tell Harry and Ron," you murmured. The girl agreed.

You both gathered your things and left with haste.

The boys were casually playing chess in the Great Hall until you and Hermione caught up to them, explaining the entire ordeal. You panted and your heart beat at a concerning pace. You could not focus on what she said as you caught your breath. All you knew was that Harry and Ron were on their feet and following a rushing Hermione.

It was cold out. The four of you were running towards a grey, rocky hut. It was small and the pointy roof tilted slightly.

Hagrid's hut.

Harry knocked vigorously with his small hand on the door. The entry finally opened, revealing the half-giant on the other side.

"Hagrid–" the boy with glasses started.

"Oh, hello, sorry, don't mean to be rude, but I'm in no fit state to entertain today," the tall man with a gruff voice replied hastily, preparing to shut the door.

"We know about the Sorcerer's Stone!" Harry, Hermione and Ron said at the same time, catching you off guard. Hagrid reopened the door, stiff.

"Oh."

He walked in his living room and you followed behind him. His hut was small, but it held a lot of warmth. The heat coming from his fireplace enveloped you in a comforting embrace. The place looked old. Candles were scattered everywhere and the sofas were few. However, it was still a home.

You did not even realise how tense you were. You relaxed your shoulders and recovered from the run. Everyone settled on couches, Ron sitting next to a big, black dog you have not noticed until a second ago. You stood in the room, leaning on a wooden table.

"We think Snape's trying to steal it," Harry told the man.

"Snape? Blimey, you're not still on about him, are ya?"

"Hagrid, we know he's after the stone. We just don't know why."

"Snape is one of the teachers protecting the stone," Hagrid revealed. "He's not about to steal it."

"What–"

"You heard... Right. Come on, now. I'm a bit preoccupied today–" he said, looking slightly distressed and in a hurry. However, Harry spoke again.