Chapter 4 - Friends? Friends

29/07/1991

The rest of your summer was wasted away through the brain-rotting flipping of your spellbooks. Your parents thought it would be best to start studying right away so your time in Hogwarts can be easier for you. You have been informed that wizards and witches under the age of 17 are prohibited from using magic outside of school, leaving you disappointed. Doing magic sounded amazing; However, learning magic was a dull and repetitive process. So far, three subjects sparked your interest: Care of Magical Creatures, Herbology and Potions. Potions was a lot like cooking and your father was fond of gardening whilst your mother was a biologist. You knew you would not fall behind those classes.

You have also tried to get in contact with the boy next door once again. You made the decision to pay him a visit. You have seen him a couple of times as your parents kept seeing each other, but you have never properly met outside of these reunions. All dressed up and holding four yellow roses your father managed to grow, you rang the Dursleys' doorbell. You heard a loud "Get it, Harry!" from Vernon and the door opened slowly. Harry's head popped out, his hair dishevelled. You could make out him wearing oversized clothes, which were probably hand-me-downs from Dudley.

You gave him a small wave, "Hi!"

The boy's eyes widened.

CLANK!

You were once again met with the door in front of you. You could hear Harry's hurried footsteps running across the house. Have you done something wrong?

On the other hand, The Dursleys were eating in the kitchen. Harry ran to them, a slight panicked look on his face. Vernon looked at him, irritated. "What is it, boy?" he spat, "Who was it?" Harry stuttered out your name and hell broke loose in the kitchen. Vernon's face almost glowed the colour red.

"AND YOU LEFT THAT KID THERE!?" he screamed. "YOU INCAPABLE LITTLE- YOU KNOW WHAT?" He took deep breaths, now holding Harry's shoulders with a harsh grip, "You get changed and I answer the door!" Harry nodded vigorously and Vernon threw him to the side, rushing towards the entrance.

You were in their driveway, heading home disappointed, until you heard a door open behind you along with big huffs. You turned around to be greeted by the sight of Vernon trying to appear casual, leaning against the doorframe red in the face.

He laughed, "Ah, hello! Come in, come in!" he said, gesturing for you to step inside their home.

An uncertain smile crawled its way onto your face as you followed the man. Quickly enough, you saw Harry heading down the staircase along with Petunia and Dudley, all wearing proper casual clothes, including Harry. The boy looked at you properly, and he even dared to think that you looked great.

"Oh hello, dear, it is so kind of you to visit!" Petunia exclaimed as she gave you a small hug that you reciprocated. You smiled up at her. "It really is my pleasure! Here," you said, handing them each a rose, "My dad grew those in the garden."

You wanted to grimace as you gave one to Dudley as much as you wanted to beam as you did the same to Harry. You saw each of their faces light up except Dudley's, who did not quite understand the point of such a gift. The adults were the first ones to speak up.

"Thank you dear!" Petunia said as Vernon replied with a "Why thank you, young one," whilst nodding approvingly.

Harry then murmured a shy "thank you". You could see that they all started taking a liking to you, which filled you with pride. That way, it would be easier to gain their trust.

Harry looked at you, curious as to why you acknowledged him the way you did. He held the rose in his hands as if it could be stolen from him at any moment. You looked at him to find him staring at you, but he quickly looked down with the slightest smile on his face. You two got along well, but he was still a little shy.