Chapter 5 - My Older Brother

EXT. LILA'S KIDS SUMMER CAMP - DAY

Jake is standing by a picnic table with his clipboard. Danny walks by with a light green colored t-shirt that reads 'Lila's Kids Volunteer'. Danny reaches for the container filled with sports equipment, completely ignoring Jake.

JAKE

You know why I had to tell your mom, right?

Danny glares at him and continues stacking containers in silence.

JAKE

I'm sorry but you were my responsibility. If anything would have happened to you, the camp would be liable.

DANNY

Welp, I'm not your problem anymore.

Danny points to the 'volunteer' his shirt and keeps walking.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

EXT. BASKETBALL COURT - DAY

Jake tries to keep up with Danny as he walks down to the basketball court to meet his friends.

JAKE

So what? I'm not cool because I did my job?

DANNY

I didn't say that. I'm not a camper anymore so there's no reason for this pointless conversation.

Troy, Tyler & Zane approach Jake & Danny. They've added a fifth player to their group. A tall boy blond kid named Toby.

TYLER

What's good, freshman? This is Toby. He's a point guard on our team.

Danny gives Toby a head nod.

TYLER

But now we're uneven.

TROY

Yeah our sixth guy had to pick up a shift at work. Does he play?

Troy gestures towards Jake.

TROY

Can he be our sixth?

Danny hesitates to answer.

DANNY

Uhh...

Tyler  passes the ball to Jake. He catches it.

TYLER

Yo, can you play?

DANNY

He doesn't-

JAKE

Yeah, I can play.

Danny is surprised at Jake's response.

TROY

Cool! I got Freshman and Tyler.

Danny gives Jake a confused look. Jake glares back and walks past him to join the group to the center of the court.

----------------------------------------------------

EXT. BASKETBALL COURT - DAY

Toby checks the ball to Danny. Danny checks it back. Danny blocks him as Toby tries to maneuver around him. Toby passes the ball to an open Jake who misses the catch. Troy runs for the ball and gains possession. Jake tries to play defense but Troy, who is significantly bigger drives to the basket and knocks him down. Jake slowly gets up and rubs his back. Danny shakes his head as he tries to catch his breath. Toby impatiently walks over to Jake.