xPART 2x

Snape gazed at the boy sitting across from him. This was James Potter's son? He acted almost nothing like his father! James was always mischievous and cocky and acted like he was entitled to everything. Harry was intelligent, innocent, and gentle, and unlike his father, he thought things through before jumping into anything. He's like Lilly, Severus concluded. Snape nodded in finality.

Snape: Okay, Harry. You already know that I brought a cat with me, correct?

Harry: Yes. She's very soft.

Snape: That's interesting to hear because she doesn't let me touch her. Now, the reason the friend I mentioned knows so much about being an Animagus, is because she is one. My friend has been in her Animagus form this entire time. She is sitting right next to you. Are you ready to meet her?

Harry: Yes. Yes, I'm ready.

As soon as he said that, Harry felt the cat beneath his hand move and her weight leaves the bed.

You see, when Harry was born blind, his body made up for his eyesight by increasing his other senses, like hearing, smell, taste, and touch. This way, Harry didn't need to see to sense that the cat he had just been petting had transformed into a human. How did he know this? He could smell the scent in the room change from cat fur to a more human scent, like ink, parchment, and a light perfume. Harry could also sense when someone was staring at him, therefore he stiffened when he felt a new stern gaze on him as soon as the cat was done transforming.

McGonagall: Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Potter. I am Minerva McGonagall, a professor at Hogwarts and a cat animagus.

Harry (Cautiously): So, your the one who's going to teach me about Animagus?

McGonagall: It's "Animagi", but yes, I am. Shall we get started right away or do you need a moment to digest what you've been told?

 Harry: We can start right away, Ma'am.

McGonagall: Good. Now, Severus, you can relax until I'm done. Mr. Potter, I want your undivided attention. This will be quicker than you think.

Harry: Yes, Ma'am.

McGonagall: Alright, the first order of business. The most important thing to know during your first transformation is that you do not get to choose what animal you will be. Instead, it manifests as the one animal that suits you the best. That being said, as soon as you go through your first transformation, there will be a pile of paperwork that will need to be turned in to the Ministry of Magic, which is the Wizarding government. As soon as the papers are in, you will be a legally registered Animagus and will be allowed to turn whenever you need. Usually, we teach all of this in your 3rd year at Hogwarts, but, since you were born an Animagus, you need this as soon as possible. Now, each Animagus has an identifying mark that is visible on both your animal and human bodies, distinguishing you from other animals or Animagi. Animagi can also consciously choose if they want to transform any jewelry or clothes with them. When you're in your animal form, you can communicate with any animal, normal, magical, or Animagi. However, there is a reversal spell that can painlessly force any Animagi to turn back into a human. Also, if this spell is used on normal animals that a witch or wizard think is an Animagi, it will do nothing. Do you understand everything so far?

Harry: I understand. One question, though. When I transform for the first time, will I have to do it in front of the Ministry or can it be alone? I don't like having a lot of attention on me, because of my blindness. It makes me anxious.

McGonagall sighed lightly and Severus smirked to himself, knowing that Harry could not see it.

McGonagall: You can transform in private for the first time if you'd like, but on your second, I will take you to the Ministry so we can get all of the paperwork signed properly. After you become a legal Animagus, you can transform whenever you want, as I said earlier, as long as there are no Muggles around.

Harry: What about my Aunt, Uncle, and Cousin?

McGonagall: Your Aunt will be filled in, but the other two are not allowed to know.

Harry nodded his understanding.

McGonagall: Now that I am finished with my part, Professor Snape will take over the explanations again.

Severus stood up as McGonagall turned back into a cat and Harry tried his best to meet the man's gaze.

Snape: We don't have a lot of time left so let's finish this up. Your Aunt and I will accompany you to a wizard city to purchase your school supplies on August 20th, if she agrees on letting you go to Hogwarts. Then, on September 1st, we will escort you to the school train. When you get to Hogwarts, you will be sorted into one of the four houses. If your Aunt refuses to let you go to our school, the Ministry will assign you a personal tutor to teach you in private.

Harry: Thank you, Sir.

Snape: For what?

Harry: For you and the professor explaining things to me. I greatly appreciate it.

Snape: I-i'm just doing my job, but you're welcome. Now, come. It's time for us to go back downstairs.

Harry: Okay.

Harry, Snape, and McGonagall, in cat form, went back to the living room and sat down on one of the couches. Two minutes later, Aunt Petunia came in. She looked nervous but put on a brave face for Harry's sake. She owed it to him after all of those regretful years when her husband and son pushed around her only nephew.

Aunt Petunia: Alright, he can go. But on one major condition on Harry's part.

Snape: And what would that be?

Aunt Petunia: That I get to keep in touch with Harry and I can have a part in this new chapter of his life. For so long, I pretended to not care about him when I really did and I wasn't there when I should have been and I regret it. So, promise me that, both of you.

Harry got up from the couch and made his way over to his aunt to hug her. Breaking down, she knelt on her knees and squeezed him tighter, openly crying.

Harry: I forgive you. And I promise I'll write to you every week, as long as you write back once in a while.

Aunt Petunia: I'll answer every letter and tell you everything I remember about your parents, how's that sound?

Harry: I'd like that, Auntie.

Snape: And I promise, you'll have a say in everything. You'll join us in his school shopping on August 20th and I will escort you both to the school train, which can only be accessed by the students in Hogwarts and their friends and family. You'll be allowed to pick Harry up from the train station when he comes home for vacations and the summer just like all the other muggle guardians.

Aunt Petunia: You sure? Oh, that'd be wonderful, thank you! I'll put it on my calendar. August 20th and September 1st correct?

Snape: Yes. Since my lesson plan's already finished, I will come back on those two days to personally pick you up. I don't have to be back at the school until later on September 1st anyway. I should get going now. Come on, Minerva.

Petunia led Snape and McGonagall outside. When she came back in, she let Harry have some alone time, letting him bring his breakfast up to his room, and eat there. The next month or so went by smoothly.